Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SmokeFire First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write-up. I would suggest that the drip pans significantly impacted the airflow such that the outside edges would see higher temps, thus the impact on your cook. I say "significantly" since the original design is based on flavor bars with a fairly open exposure for airflow in stead of a full drip tray.

Comment

• BDCarp04
      BDCarp04 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree and never even thought to factor that in. I was a little concerned/intrigued that the pans I ordered from amazon pretty much covered the entire grate space underneath so I was worried about airflow. Didn't seem to have much of an impact that I could tell other than those side edges being hotter than the rest.

I should also add that I'd call my cook successful, but it was on the backs of glitchy , Jordan S , and others experiences. If I hadn't been forced to wait over a week before I had time to smoke something I would have never learned from their frustrations first and I'm sure I would have shared the same problems and would be just as disappointed. They're the real heroes!

Comment

I tried again to do a brisket this weekend. Three different times, with the temperature set to 250°, mine would just suddenly start cooling down. Like, to 185° or below and still dropping. Each time, I had to run through the shut down cycle and then started it back up again. After the third time, I just put the brisket in the oven.

I’m still using exclusively Weber pellets so that I can rule out pellet-brand issues. However, I couldn’t find any bridging issues to blame for the flameout. It just seemed like the thermometer and auger weren’t communicating or the fire quit or something.

I know some folks have Smokefires that are working great and God bless them. I’m just reporting on MY issues in the event it helps others or others can maybe help me.

Comment

• BDCarp04
        BDCarp04 commented
        Editing a comment
        And Weber hasn't offered to replace your controller or anything? They need to be doing something for you. I noticed when I had mine set at 250 it would fluctuate lower/higher whenever it would kick on to regulate temps, but never that far low. And that was for 15+ straight hours

• Jordan S
        Jordan S commented
        Editing a comment
        I have called and emailed Weber several times. Their latest reply was this morning, and it was "Hello Jordan, This is being looked into." That was it.

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        The smart *** in me thinks you should reply with a picture of a Rec-Tec or Camp Chef, "This is being looked into".

BDCarp04 Once again many thanks for all the info and pics that you provided above. It's probably one of the most useful demo posts to date and helps demystify many of the Smokefire's key elements.

Comment

• BDCarp04
        BDCarp04 commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely. I thought about making a separate post for it, and I probably should have in case anyone was interested in work arounds, but it seemed like most of the eyes were on this thread. Oh well.

I guess as an also - since I'm one of the few that kept mine I'm happy to answer questions or test anything else if people want. Just let me know!

Comment

• ScottyC13
        ScottyC13 commented
        Editing a comment
        How is the smoke flavor? Most folks have talked about the issues and not commented on flavor. I’ve only smoked on a Weber kettle with the Slow n Sear and never tried pellet grill Q.

• BDCarp04
        BDCarp04 commented
        Editing a comment
        The flavor itself was really good! I've only used the grillmaster pellet blend so far (I think it's a maple/cherry/hickory combo), but I would call the flavor mild on the smoke and almost a little sweet. The thing itself cranks smoke though. It definitely came through on the meat.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        In only 30-40 pounds or so of cooking, I was pretty impresses with the Grill Master blend. Actually thinking of picking some more up to try again sometime.

There is already a guy selling an insert on The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board for the hopper. Basically, in just sits over the long side and increases the angle. Will be interesting to see how many he sells and how well it works.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I envision Weber sending something like that out as a "fix" to owners of the first version of the SmokeFire.

• divisionbell77
        divisionbell77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree jfmorris I don't see any other way for them to correct it unless they replace the hopper

• BDCarp04
        BDCarp04 commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually really like the idea of sort of a storage compartment he has his probe sitting in there on the right side. I'd totally be down for that.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here