Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber ex6 vs ironwood 885

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber ex6 vs ironwood 885

So my place of employment sells Traeger and Weber and I get a pretty decent discount. I purchased a traeger pro 575 and loved it for the month I used it. I just returned it because I needed more room.

I'm debating between the weber ex6 or the traeger ironwood 885. I have over 15 weber kettles and a wsm and genesis... I'm a weber fan .. but the reviews and post about issues worry me.. also it's confirmed my place won't sell the new stealth..

Any tips?

I like the price of the ex6 and size

I can't help, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Ok, yer a Weber fan, ya like the price & you are no rookie as fer as ascertainin the size ya need. So, ya want us to tell you if it’s ok to spend the money? Do you have a wife? Is there anybody else we should consider before we tell ya To Git It! 🕶

Oh,
      and welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, hope you like it here and join up when your trial is over. Traegers are more smokers and convection ovens than grills. With the downdraft exhaust it should give a little better smoke profile than your Pro, but overall will cook very similarly. I don’t know if you tried to grill on it or not, but being 100% indirect they need help to properly sear, either GrillGrates, cast iron, etc…Or smoke on the Traeger and sear on one of your kettles.

The SmokeFire both smokes and grills well. It’s the best grilling pellet grill I’ve seen or used. It also has an excellent smoke profile for a pellet grill. The issues with the SmokeFire are mostly software, if they haven’t already (I returned mine a year ago) Weber should be getting better at this. You also should use drip pans when smoking things like pork butts and briskets, especially if cooking more than one. The grease and ash can mix and clog up the drain holes increasing the risk of a fire. Weber even created a wet smoke kit to help this and hold grease pans under the grates.

If you buy a Weber, I’d strongly suggest the new Stealth version. The changes to the hopper alone should reduce chances of pellet bridging and flameouts. I know you said you wouldn’t be able to get from your work, but it might be worth the extra cost or trying to see if they’ll let you special order with a discount. The hopper on the gen 1 & 2 is the biggest design weakness, IMO.
        Last edited by glitchy; April 3, 2022, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• zinfella
          zinfella commented
          Editing a comment
          I know they're continually trying to shake the bugs ou of the SF, but, it has not climbed beyond the Silver Medal rating here on AR.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          zinfella I don’t think they continually reevaluate the grills. I think they test, donate the grill, and move on to the next in line to be tested/evaluated.

• zinfella
          zinfella commented
          Editing a comment
          You may be right.

Originally posted by Issombeituni View Post
        I have over 15 weber kettles and a wsm and genesis... I'm a weber fan
        What took you so long to join? You'll fit right in here.

Comment

Only 15? You didn't by any chance inherit some of them did ya?

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Thanks guys.. I'm an on the road tech and I find alot of people tossing these treasures behind I can't let them die.. lol

Comment

Traeger, I have the Timberline 850. My friend has had his entry-level Traeger, for over 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                Ok, yer a Weber fan, ya like the price & you are no rookie as fer as ascertainin the size ya need. So, ya want us to tell you if it’s ok to spend the money? Do you have a wife? Is there anybody else we should consider before we tell ya To Git It! 🕶

Oh,
                and welcome!
                There's gotta be more folks involved than just him, if he's want'in a larger unit, doesn't there? Just him, and I don't know if I could afford to feed him.

Comment

glitchy this is what is making people think they will revisit. All of the ifs. I hope they do, but maybe not. I would also go with the Stealth version if you can get it or the EX6 over the Traeger.

"Weber updated their software and app over the air and it is now fully functioning. If they can come up with a fix for the grease fires and pellet feeds our rating could become Gold Medal (4 stars out of 5). If they can get it to heat more evenly and scratch off most of the rest of the items in our list of Cons above, it could go Platinum Medal."

Weber has a new pellet smoker and it is alone among pellet cookers in that it can properly sear steak across the entire cooking area. Read our review of this groundbreaking design.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here