Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver620 less smoke v. Junior Elite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver620 less smoke v. Junior Elite?

I've had the new Silverton 620 up and running for a few weeks I guess. This model does not have the "Super Smoke" button.

The Junior Elite is retired. It was getting glitchy.

It seems like the 620 puts out less smoke than the Junior. One tech person suggested it appears that way b/c the smoke comes out the bottom vents, such that it can circulate around the meat better. Somewhere else I read that the Traeger wasn't designed to produce a heavy smoke flavor. All I can say is that when I had the JE on "smoke" mode, it would alternate between pretty good clouds of smoke, then burn cleaner for a few minutes, rinse and repeat.

Another issue, when I did the initial "burn in", I had a lot of ash on the grates and around the inside of the grill. I called tech support, and sent them pics of it. The fellow thought it was due to a fan issue and he sent me a new one. I just installed it yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

On ignite this time, some pretty good billows of smoke came out. I hope I will see more of that !

Cooking some "flap meat" today, similar to flank steak but appears to have more marbling. Last time it was almost too tender, so I'm planning to give it some smoke and the try the Grillgrates again for the sear. If need be, I'll hit them with the propane torch.

So what about the amount of smoke on these two models, what do you reckon? How does that super smoke mode actually work, is it just a low temp setting, or does it dump more pellets then turn the fan off to let them smolder longer, or just what ? ? ?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here