Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traeger Smoke Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traeger Smoke Setting

Hi all. I wanted to try some beef jerky on my Traeger this weekend and from everything I've read here, I need to cook it between 170-180 degrees. In order to do this on my Pellet Pro 34, I'd need to use the smoke setting.

However every time I use this setting, all I get is ugly white smoke and I don't think I want to cook jerky in that. Am I missing something / doing something incorrectly or is this just the nature of these 1st generation Traegers?

You do get more white smoke, but in my experience this isn't as bitter/creosote tasting off of a pellet grill like it would be on most other cookers. About all you can do is just give it a try. If you have an older Traeger, you might be able to tweak P-settings to keep temps closer to what you want to if it strays. Be watchful for a flameout if you go too high on the setting though. You should be able to Google for details.

Comment

• panteracfh3
      panteracfh3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet. Thanks for the info!

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      The same with my Traeger pellet grill, I have had no issues with taste when using the smoke settings for jerky.

My Traeger is about 9 years old and I just adjusted the P-setting a little when I did jerky on mine. Like glitchy said, dont go two much or it will burn out. I think I only went one or two points. It actually turned out pretty good!

Comment

My opinion is that the "Smoke" setting should really be a "Start" setting. Generally speaking, when I want to smoke something at low temp I run the 180 setting. If I want to add more smoke then I add a smoke tube with it.

The "Smoke" setting has way too much variation in it for my taste.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here