Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Weather Impact On Ironwood 885

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Weather Impact On Ironwood 885

Experienced charcoal griller but new to the Traeger Ironwood 885. How sensitive are Traegers to the weather? I'm roasting a prime ribeye at 225º for Christmas in sunny 25 degree weather, 15 mph wind. Can the auger keep up with those conditions or should I add some Kentucky windage to my normal warmer-weather cook time? Thanks.

Most pellet grills are fine below 250F regardless of weather, though some react more than others to wind, rain, and or cold. If possible make sure the wind isn't blowing directly into the smoke vents. It's trying to get above 250 where many pellet grills have an issue in those sort of conditions, which can be somewhat mitigated by mixing in charcoal or other high btu pellets or using a welding blanket, but at 25F I don't think you'll notice anything other than maybe a little more pellet consumption.

Some grills have an ignition cutoff, at roughly around 25F. If yours is one of those and it won't even ignite, just manually start some pellets in the firepot until the thermocouple warms up enough to let the grill start. Then press on as you usually would.

Comment

A inexpensive Harbor Freight welding blanket thrown on top will help retain temps and block wind.

Comment

• fkrall
        fkrall commented
        Editing a comment
        Will pursue; thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here