Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I have & what is it good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I have & what is it good for?

Hello folks,

Currently I own a 22” Weber Kettle & a KBQ stick burner. Yesterday a neighbor gave me a small Tragger pellet grill. The cover says BBQ 550. See pics below. How can I determine which model this is?

It’s my 1st pellet grill. I haven’t the foggiest 1 idea on how to use these things.

What should I check to make sure it’s working correctly? Is there any routine maintenance that is beneficial? Are there any upgrades for this to improve its functionality?

Seeing that I have the KBQ & the kettle, what would a good use for this little pellet cooker be?

Thanks in advance!
    JD
    Attached Files

glitchy bbqLuv

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Thank you for the notoriety!

Pellet grills are very easy to use and you may produce great-tasting food. You may find all the information you want or need at Traeger.com.

I look forward to your posting of your first cook. I find that pork butt is easy to smoke with my Traeger.

Comment

Thanks, I think....
      I don't know what these replies mean.
      Does anyone know what unit I have or how I can determine that?
      Thanks!
      JD

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you searched "Traeger BBQ 550" on Google to see if something comes up on the Traeger website?

Looks like it might be an OG Tailgater model?

As for uses, you can probably do jerky on it easier than your other grills. You could also do any long cooks started on your other grills for a few hours, then switch to the pellet grill over night for uninterrupted sleep (once you run it a few times and know whether you can trust that one for a long cook)

As far as things to check out, chuck a few handfuls of pellets in it to make sure it ignites and runs.

Some of the most common issues are failed ignitors and clogged augers. The latter usually only happens due to neglect and moisture intrusion. I don't know the specific functions of that grill, but if it is an older model you would have to manually empty the hopper and burn off whatever is in the auger for times when you know you won't use it for a while. Also probably have to vaccum the fire pot every few cooks if it doesn't remove to dump​

Comment

With the rear exhaust it appears to be a Traeger Junior. In my experience it had a little better smoke profile than the larger models with the exhaust on the side. All I did for regular maintenance was vacuum out the fire pot and barrel every few short cooks or 1-2 long cooks and change the foil on the drip pan as needed (about the same interval). If you do foil the drip pan wrap it tightly so the foil doesn’t affect airflow.

Under the ‘call service’ sticker is likely a little pinhole over a P-Setting button. For me adjusting it to P-0 for temps 225° and up and P-2 or P-3 when using the smoke modes kept the temps the most stable. The higher the setting, the longer the pause between auger runs, so the chances increase for a flameout.

“What is it good for?” Just about anything except searing a steak or things you need to cook at 450° plus. It’s great for anything you would smoke on your other smokers and anything you would bake in your oven. Try some chicken at 375°, a meatloaf at 300°, and some ribs at 225°. I would recommend for most traditional low and slow running on smoke or 225° for at least a couple hours before turning it up to 250° or higher (or just doing the whole cook at 225°).

Edit - added below:
        I would also recommend using CookinPellets or Lumberjack pellets for better flavor. If you use another brand, buy their special or competition blends and avoid these other brands’ single species pellets as they will likely be 70-80% oak or alder and only 20-30% of the flavor wood on the label.

I wouldn’t worry about upgrades out of the gate. If you have any wireless thermometer to monitor temps of the grill and food and dial in the P-settings it should work fine as is. You might still be able to find accessories like a folding front shelf, covers, and insulation blanket if you live where it gets cold.
        Last edited by glitchy; November 16, 2022, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Ok, ya open it up, ya put some burnin material in (pellets to those in Oconomowoc), ya lite a fire, however & ya cook. There ya have it. One thing I do know that’s a little differnt is ya have a lectrical cord so ya gotta plug it in to gat some burnin material a movin. Happy cookin.

Comment

• Stuey1515
            Stuey1515 commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha, love your work mate

Thanks all!
          Some very useful info here.
          im still unclear about the p setting.
          JD

Comment

The p setting is probably a smoke setting if it’s akin to the Pit Boss poopers. If it doesn’t have a PID controller you may have some initial frustration with temperature swings you’re not accustomed to seeing. Other comments I echo.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Love the new avatar! Between you and DavidNorcross , we almost look like a semi-respectable place.
              Last edited by Panhead John; November 16, 2022, 03:26 PM.

• WayneT
              WayneT commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John That’s my fall cooking ensemble. I’m working on my winter look now.

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John he just can't keep up, but I am glad you are giving him support

I would not worry about the p setting just yet. That is for more advanced users.

Put some pellets on the hopper and turn the knob to smoke. It should start for you
            Then dial in the temp you want and start smoking

Comment

What rlozinak and FireMan said. Clean it out, add some pellets, plug it in, pick a temp and hit start. If you have a remote temp probe put it in there and compare what it says to what the smoker says. I have a grilla pellet grill and I have never fooled with the p setting. I also have a smaller Traeger Tailgater that I rarely use.

Comment

I haven't read through all the responses so I'm bound to repeat great advice from above...that said...

You should hear a fan when you start it up. If not, something's broke. You should see smoke after about 3-5 minutes maybe, 7 max. If not, something's broke.

Fire that baby up (assuming the ignitor rod works, otherwise, no lighty-light) and put your leave-in temp probe(s) in there and see how the dial setting compares to actual temps. Make notes of temp discrepancies or correlations at various spots and at various dial settings.

Keep it covered and out of the rain whenever possible. Keep your pellets outta the rain definitely and outta the humidity if you can. Wet pellets swell up and seize the auger and it's a often quite a bear to pull it out to clear it. Don't leave the hopper full constantly (unless it's in-use), especially if it'll be a while until you use it again.

If you like a good smoke flavor on your meats, put the meat in the cooker before you even turn it on, don't preheat. There will be quite a cloud of startup smoke, and that's beneficial. Many foods that don't require a lot of smoke flavor, such as steak, or baking a pizza, or veggies, really shine on pellet cookers, put them in once it's preheated. You might need to sear your steaks, chops, or burgers elsewhere, your kettle for instance. Your experiences and tastes may vary of course.

Happy pellet cookin'!

Comment

• jjdbike
                  jjdbike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks bud!
                  JD

Thanks again everyone!
                JD

Comment

It would probably be a good idea to get the serial number and email/chat with someone at Traeger, and download the owners manual.

Have a question about your Traeger wood-pellet grill? Find the answer in your grill's manual. Whether it be a Pro 575, Timberline 1300, or any in between.

Comment

• jjdbike
                    jjdbike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Outstanding idea!
                    Once the sun is fully up I'll do that.
                    Thanks!

You have an Easy Bake Oven. They are great for a more hands-off style of cooking when you have other things to do. I want one myself, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here