Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Flavoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Flavoring?

I recently purchased a like new Traeger. I'm used to cooking on a BGE and WSM. I like the convenience of the pellets but am a little underwhelmed with the smoke flavoring. Any ideas on what to do to rectify this or is it just the way it is??

a smoke tube with more pellets, or the heavy D from smoke daddy are the primary ways. Also put your meat in the freezer for an hour or two before smoking to get the exterior temp even cooler.

Comment

You can set the temp to a lower setting. Or you can buy a smoke tube to increase the smoke in the chamber.

Or you can go back to the BGE or WSM.

Comment

What is done is done. If I won the grand prize thing, I would probably get the pellet cooker.

BUT you could have just got the Fireboard controller with a fan for that BGE and made it as easy as a pellet grill. You can still get the Fireboard! Never too late??

Comment

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs I get that. But options are still options. And really I think a pellet grill would beat out my Primo for things like fish. Smoked salmon is a thing here. I have got quite good at it, even if it really is not my thing. My wife loves it, and I bring it in to work. I will eat it, but I would rather have a cheeseburger. Anyhow just saying. There is room for both.

• BBQPaddy
          BBQPaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          I do own a BGE and a WSM. I have the older style air blower (BBQ Guru) that I can use on either one. I like the convenience of the pellet cooker but was more interested in ways of ramping up the smoke flavoring with it. I can't imagine ever being able to get the quality of sear on a steak that I get on the BGE. Guess I'll have to work in the style of cooking that I get with it. Thanks for your input.

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          BBQPaddy I would think a pellet grill would be excellent for things like fish. I have a hard time keeping my Primo below 225, and 190 is perfect for fish. Fillets are thin and cook fast. You can easily overcook or burn the thin part before the thicker part is done. You can also hold something in a pellet grill at a lower temperature - like a cambro of sorts. Or you may want a lighter smoke touch, where again the pellet is great. LOTS of things!

I am happy with my Timberline.
        Pellets Matter: 6 Pellets Compared Head-to-Head | Mad Scientist BBQ - YouTube

Comment

• BBQPaddy
          BBQPaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          very interesting comparison. That's a good one to follow. Thanks.

• 02ebz06
          02ebz06 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've seen that video and it is not a valid comparison.
          The did not use the same species of wood for each pellet brand.
          Like comparing apples to oranges, they are both fruit bot are different.

Glad I came here. Does the Traeger provide less smoke than a WSM?

Back in the mid 90's I bought a Tejas smoker, which we used often. Loved the smoke flavor and rings. It finally got to where it took my cousin the blacksmith to keep it repaired.

So I traded it for a WSM because I thought it would be easier to maintain temperature, etc. It cooks excellent brisket, but we've never been fond of the low amount of smoke flavor, even with a pecan log in the middle of the charcoal.

The WSM has been blown over and off the porch of couple of times, and is pretty badly out of round. So we thought we might replace it with a pellet smoker.

Is this a bad move for smoke lovers?
        Last edited by btuckertx; July 1, 2023, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          btuckertx Where are you in SW Okla. I was raised just outside Temple.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          I suggest trying food cooked on a pellet grill. Perhaps there are restaurants that use pellets grills near you.

I find Hickory and Mesquite have a stronger flavor. Other woods are more subtle.

Comment

A couple things I do: put your meat on before you even fire it up, on cold grates on a cold cooker. Then turn it on. That thick cloud of startup smoke is valuable and often wasted during the preheat. Also, if you have room on yours, I like to put a couple tiny chunks of wood right on top of the burn pot, under the drip tray. Put as many on there as will fit. Lastly, start your meat on your WSM or BGE for half an hour or so, then move it over to the Traeger. You only have the inconvenience for a little bit and the rest of your day can be set it and forget it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here