Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Question

Has anyone re-painted their Traeger? Mine is showing wear and tear. I was thinking about sanding it down and repainting it with Truck Bed liner.

Thoughts? Go easy on me if this is a terrible idea.

Don't have a Traeger but I would not use truck bed liner.
    Its kinda rubberized, there's to many chemicals that could give off harmful emissions.
    Go with a High Temp paint, a brand name escapes me right now, Tremclad comes to mind.
    Others will chime in with the correct brand.
    Rustoleum....

Comment

Yeah, I'm with smokin fool on this one - don't do the truck bed paint.

Rustoleum makes a high heat primer and several different high heat paint finish/colors. I can vouch that they work well for touching up old gas grills. Home Depot carries all of them.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what I have used and it works very well.

You may want to ask Traeger -- 1-800-TRAEGER

Comment

I have done this with good results using the products mentioned above. Keep in mind that high temp paint needs heat to cure. Consequently, things like the hopper and legs that are not subjected to high heat need an ordinary exterior paint.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know this. In the past I just used that black grill spray paint on both the firebox and cart of my old Weber gas grill, but I doubt I fired it up to cure it right off. Next time I do something like that I'll use regular paint on the cart portion.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          The HH paint will stick, but it doesn't take much for it to scratch or flake.

Engine enamel would probably work well. Take a scotch bright and scuff her up first. Most of them don't need a primer.

Comment

thinking different: instead of paint, have you considered wallpaper? Hear it's making a comeback amongst the fashionistas.

Or maybe some flames/chrome?

Click image for larger version

Name:	944fae9c80bce3ba32a21dec86bb6e17.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1171252

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Pfft, no blower? If you add a billows is your grill is it considered turbocharged?

Along with the others who already said so, do NOT use truck bed liner. It will likely melt at cooking temps. Use high heat grill paint, available at any hardware store. I used to use that to refresh my old Weber gas grill firebox, legs and cart with that stuff every few years, masking off the porcelain coated lid and side table on that grill.

Comment

If you use the High Heat spray paint, make sure you lightly scuff the area with some steel wool - I would think!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here