Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modding a Traegor Select Elite with a new controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modding a Traegor Select Elite with a new controller

I'm thinking of buying a used Traeger Select Elite for about $300. Is that a good price for it? If so I would like to mod the controller with a new one maybe with wifi capability. I've read rec tec can be used on this model. Does anyone have any experience in modding one of these models and know which controllers are compatible. Do I even need to mod it to get consistent temps?

Replacing the controller is not something you have to do by any means. I had 4 Traegers and they all worked just fine. They’ve had so many controllers over the years, it’s hard to say what it actually is. Some have P-Settings you can adjust. Reasonable temp swings don’t hurt anything.

If you do buy and want to upgrade the controller, I’d give this first consideration:
    Pellet Grills & Smokers by Smoke Daddy. High Quality & Best Pellet Grills, BBQ Smokers, Hopper Assemblies, Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generators, heavy Steel Spit Roasters

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Personally, the newer the controller on a Traeger, the less smoke. People freak out over temp swings, but swings let pellets smolder, which creates more smoke. My first Traeger, a junior elite would swing +/- 40. It Produced better flavor than every Traeger after, with the two newest with D2 controllers being the worst. PID controllers make Fireboard graphs look stellar, but actually degrade from potential smoke flavor on your food.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Pellet grills have tightened up temp swings since fancy remote thermometers have become popular because people watch and worry (and complain on social media) too much. I’m guilty too, or was until I went through several pellet grills to understand better. Pellets are different than charcoal and logs that can produce good smoke at steadier temps.

• milkmoron
      milkmoron commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm good to know. Thanks

Call Traeger customer service, they are really great. I had trouble connecting the WIFI until I turned the power switch on. LOL Troubleshooting 101.
    There may be up-grade videos at traegergrills.com
    $300 sounds fair depending on the condition. I upgraded to a Traeger Timberline 850
    First Brisket, Beginner's Brisket--Traeger Recipe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210417_192932699.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1019889

And yes it paired well with PBR.

Comment

• milkmoron
      milkmoron commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats funny. The model I'd be purchasing doesn't have Wifi. Brisket looks real nice. Was that bark from the Traeger or did you use something else?

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I used a rub from a local source, Sugars BBQ. Serious Bull.
      Personalized catering services, specialized barbecue classes and uniquely crafted sauces & rubs for all of your bbq needs. Battle Ground, WA & Portland, OR.

• milkmoron
      milkmoron commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip. They were out of serious bull but I bought some of their others to try out.

Bought it and cooked a compart pork butt on it. Cooked it evenly and perfectly. Ran out of pellets halfway through because I forgot to refill it but thats my fault. Definitely doesn't need to be modded unless I want WiFi control. Very good buy I think.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here