Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RT 680 Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RT 680 Rust

Anyone have this issue? I was vacuuming the inside. A bunch of stuff was peeling off the back of the inside, so I gently scraped it off with a plastic putty knife. Rust underneath! Also, on the outside of the barrel, rust as well, as outside finish is bubbling off. I have written my contact at Rec Tec and briefly spoke to him. He is looking into it, but anyone have this issue, and how was it resolved? I am concerned, as the grill is less than three years old, and I always have it covered when not in use. Please see pictures.
    Attached Files

Take it to get sand blasted and then re powder coat with Hi temp if you want it fixed correctly.

Comment

You have 3 more years warranty on it. They should replace the rusted part.

Comment

Look forward to the response from Rec Tec.

Comment

While I agree with Ahumadora, I also agree that since this is under warranty, Rec Tec needs to step up and resolve this issue. I too am looking forward to Rec Tec's response.

Comment

had mine 1.5 years, new to me. no problems on mine.

Comment

Update - I spoke to my contact at Rec Tec. He told me nothing has to be done to the inside. Just let it season. Evidently, he has had the same issue in his grill.

Next time I clean the inside, just vacuum it out. No scraping. However, the outside needs attention, so they are sending to me a high temp primer and high temp black spray paint. I will need to sand and clean the affected area, then prime and paint it. He also sent me a video on how to do this.

Comment

• shush
                shush commented
                Editing a comment
                I too have a RT-680. I will _not_ accept being their warranty repair person.

• bten
                bten commented
                Editing a comment
                I would spray down the area inside the grill with Pam just before your next cook. I think that it would be better to get the flaky black stuff off, and season it with something like Pam, than leaving it with rust underneath it.

• randy56
                randy56 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for following up on Rec tex response, Do you keep it outside in the weather?

Same cooker here and have the same problem. It is just now a year old and received the same response from RecTec. I have the can of paint and the video to prove it. Not happy and will not be keeping the smoker.....

Comment

• bten
                bten commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting that they have a video...must happen a lot.

Wow. I hate to hear this about the Rectec smokers.

I've got an offset smoker built in 1985, and the powder coating on the painted parts has held up all these years. In the last 5-10 years its started to gradually wear off the stainless steel body (I wish he hadn't painted the stainless), but that was after it was 25 years old. I'll bet I reach higher temperatures on the end with the firebox than most pellet burners reach too, as I've had that fire big enough to have flames shooting into the cook chamber.

Paint bubbling up on the outside just tells me they didn't do a proper job of painting it, and/or used inferior paint that was not rated for the temperatures its reaching.

The picture you post of the paint peeling doesn't look like powder coating to me, but looks like it was sprayed. I might wrong though.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                Frustrating to say the least. This happened just over a year in on a smoker that cost right at $1900. Not considered high end but one would think the coating would last longer than a year. I might add it stays under cover and I clean after each cook. Very frustrating.

Yeah, I keep mine covered when not in use and clean it frequently as well. Before I bought this grill, I researched the heck out of pellet grills. Seems like all of them have some issues. Let me know if you get yours sold, and what you get for it.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                Honestly not optimistic. But will take what I can get.

DavidNorcross and RAGBBQ if you enjoy the performance of the cooker, yeah, having to touch up the outside paint after just a year sucks, but I wouldn't sell a smoker you paid that much for at a big loss.

I don't have a pellet rig, and when I first started looking into it, spent a lot of time drooling over stuff on the Rectec website. Now I'm either going with a Grilla or a Yoder if I make that step. Hard to justify to the wife though, when I have a yard full of grills and smokers at the moment! Won't be this year as I just got a new 4 burner gas grill, so I'll keep smoking on the old offset or the Weber Performer Deluxe.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                MCS is a problem. I got a Yoder a little over a year ago and have now started longing for: 1) Yoder Wichita Loaded Offset 2) SNS for Weber 3) Kamado or BGE. Will it ever stop?

I hear you. I doubt very much that I will sell it. I have a separate post a few months ago about it not holding a low temp in warm weather. Even with the wi fi controller replacing the original controller, the issue still exists, but I am working with one of the founders to get this fixed. Other than that and the rust issue, I like how the grill performs, and the wi fi feature works great! I am sure that after a while, my frustration will wane. Besides, I also have a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center that I love, so I have choices!

Comment

Mine is one of the originals that came out. I literally cook 7-800 lbs of pellets in it per year. I use a welding blanket for cover insulation because I cook all year long here in the Midwest ranging in external heat from 10-105 degrees, I want consistency in my cooks and that blanket helps affords me that. I can tell ya with her blankie on, she is no longer pretty. Would RecTeq likely do something to make her pretty again? I don't doubt it but I don't care. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as long as my baby keeps performing, she and I are good.

Comment

Hmmm. I have a RT 700 that’s a shade over 1.5 years old. It’s kept in my garage at all times. No issues so far. I will be keeping an eye on it from now on though. Beyond that I love it. Have had zero issues so far. Knock on wood.

Comment

• Chipshot7
                    Chipshot7 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is because you have the 700. The posted problems are in reference to the RT680. The 680 is black powder coat unlike yours which is all stainless. I believe they released the 700 design changes because of problems that the 680 was experiencing. Mine is 4 years into warranty and the powder coat is rusting off all over it.
                    Last edited by Chipshot7; October 25, 2020, 07:07 PM.

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the info. I feel better now. Sorry to hear about the issues with your though.

• Chipshot7
                    Chipshot7 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't be sorry lol. She runs hard an BBQ's like a beast. Always produces perfect results. She is more of a "last call" type now.
                    I have the bullseye, Matador and the RT 680. Problem is they are all first generation models. After I bought them they came out with the updated models. #buyersremorse lol.

Where are these grills manufactured? I have a Traeger and I think it is made in China or assembled from Chinese parts. So far I have no rust issues.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    which traeger to you have?

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here