Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Cook on the Rec Tec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Cook on the Rec Tec

Broke in the Stampede >>> couple lbs of wings, real simple. SPG and on the fire for about an hour & 15. Started at 375 trying to get crispy skin, backed it to 325 about 30 minutes in.
    They’re pretty good, but next time start at 225 to get some more smoke and then crank it to 400.
    also, I’ll keep wings in fridge uncovered to dry them out a bit.
    the grill is crazy easy, monitored it from my phone.

Pictures

Comment

Sounds like a great cook. No pics I see on this end.

Comment

Nice work. I bet running at the lower temp will help with the smoke flavor. Turn it up at the end to crisp up the skin sounds like a good plan going forward!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7304FEB-BDB7-4620-B1E8-1ED80D3BC075.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	572833Click image for larger version

Name:	FFCB4F31-BD73-486C-8F2B-F87504389F8F.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	572832

Comment

Good looking chicken. That’s the way to christen your new addition!

Comment

Yeah, nice. Looks like a very roomy grill. Isn't the WiFi application great. Did the stampede hold a nice straight temperature profile? You could maybe even go lower to get the smoke. 200 smokes great on my Trailblazer. Looking forward to seeing what else comes off of that beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by McEDaddy View Post
                Broke in the Stampede >>> couple lbs of wings, real simple. SPG and on the fire for about an hour & 15. Started at 375 trying to get crispy skin, backed it to 325 about 30 minutes in.
                They’re pretty good, but next time start at 225 to get some more smoke and then crank it to 400.
                also, I’ll keep wings in fridge uncovered to dry them out a bit.
                the grill is crazy easy, monitored it from my phone.
                If you're going to smoke them, coat them in heavily seasoned cornstarch and put them on at 225 and turn every so often.
                When you no longer see any cornstarch, they should be done but check with a thermometer.
                It'll give you crispy skin at smoking temps that'll seem like you fried them and they'll stand up to any sauce just fine.
                I don't do them any other way now. It does take about an hour to an hour to cook them though.
                I take them off when they're about 190 to try to breakdown any connective tissue.
                Also, there isn't any difference in taste with or without the cornstarch.
                A lot of places use a 50/50 mix of flour and cornstarch for their fried chicken batter to make a seriously crispy fried chicken.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No difference in consistency? I would think there would be like a kind of crust or something.

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gonna hafta try that on my father’s Traeger sometime.

I didn't say there is no difference in consistency, I said taste. As in the cornstarch doesn't affect the taste. It gets crispy like fried chicken.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK, that's what I figured. I was just wondering. Going to try it.

be careful when foiling pellet grills, I can't tell from your picture but make absolutely sure that the foil is perfectly tight along the exterior edges of your heat dispersal tray (drip pan, whatever). Pellet grills are kinda like PCs and cable management, you wouldn't think a single thin item would drastically alter airflow, but it can if placed in certain locations. And on pellet grills that area is usually the gap between the edges of the grill and the tray edge.

Comment

Second n the foil. You need the airflow all around. Looking good on the chicken.
                  You're going to love it.

Comment

Keep on Rec tec-in love mine did 1 brisket and 3 butts this week end.

Comment

Glad to see Rec Tec working out for you! Very nice machine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here