Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is stainless steel pellet cooker better insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is stainless steel pellet cooker better insulation?

From my experience, stainless steel is not the best conductor of heat. i wonder if the new stainless steel Rec Tecs will work better in cold weather cooking, being they are stainless steel.

Even though the thermal diffusivity of stainless steel is about 3x less than regular steel, I've never heard anyone tout the insulation properties of stainless steel on a cooker. Regardless, I'm a sucker for the looks of stainless.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      he said "diffusivity"

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't be teasing!

As an engineer I don’t think stainless versus regular steel makes a difference in smoker heat loss. Gauge of metal will affect heat retension more.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe that's mostly correct, it's all about the thickness of the metal. Stainless; however, is not as good a thermo conductor as carbon steel. Regardless the differences can be largely disregarded versus their relative thicknesses. That's what you should be looking for, 10 ga. or thicker.

This is where I think Blazin and Grilla have done an interesting job of doing double wall insulation to combat this without getting too thick of steel.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF , absolutely!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      So twice as much steel versus thicker steel. Would be an interesting side-by-side comparison !!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman it’s nit twice as much steel that helps as much as the air gap in between the layers of steel. Air is a great insulator.

I’ll choose stainless over any other material, looks awesome n doesn’t rust??? = where do I sign!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you hit on the right note. My P&S pellet has a stainless steel rolled top and a carbon steel 10 ga. body. The stainless portion will probably outlast my grandchildren.

The advantages of stainless are obvious, you're looking at a largely rust free cooker that will stand up to heat and stress. Although not the best of conductors, if cold weather is a problem they make blankets that can do the trick quit nicely. It's not like you have to cook in arctic conditions constantly, or do you? You from the Antarctic??

Comment

Stainless isn't a great thermal conductor but it's still an above average one. As a general rule for any material, if they make cookware out of it, you can be sure the thermal conductivity is above average.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here