Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rec Tec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rec Tec

Looking at new smokers. I've looked at the RT specs but can't find anything if they have an easy pellet hopper clean out

If I need to change the pellets in my RT-680, I use a small shop vac.

Comment

I think the answer is no, as I’ve not read that as a feature. Campchef and Grilla are the two I’ve seen advertise that.

Comment

I have a Rec Tec RT-340 Trailblazer. It does not have hopper clean out feature, but i don't find it difficult to change. i use a small (about pint size) bucket and scoop out all pellets down to auger feed hole, and then put in new pellets. The remaining pellets in auger feed tube, I use to get the next cook going, and so what if a small amount of different pellet smoke at beginning of cook.

Comment

I have a Rec Tec Bull. What treesmacker said about the RT-340 is the same with the Bull - no hopper clean out feature but it's easy to control what you put in the hopper. Because the smoke flavor with a pellet smoker is noticeably more muted, I haven't been as troubled with controlling the type of pellets with the Bull as I have been with type of wood chunks with my WSM 22. But that could just be my laziness on a weekend morning. One humble piece of advice is you get a pellet smoker -- if you love a lot of smoke flavor, do keep your old smoker around. I still use my trusty WSM 22 for cuts on which I want a lot of smoke (e.g., bacon) and for my next brisket, I'll probably start it on the WSM to increase smoke flavor and then switch it to the Bull after a few hours so that I can control temp.

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know - seems if you put Rec Tec on lowest setting, lots of smoke, but then not really cookin - maybe start cookin at 225, to get things safe, then lower to minimum to get smoke, and then return to 225 (thinkin pork).

Rec-Tec: the same company that ended up in the fetal position on the floor crying after Max gave one of their cookers a do not recommend rating.... Their temper tantrum and attacks on amazingribs over that turned me off to them.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Jefft54 that is true to an extent but culture is culture. I called them to ask them to tell me about the advantages of RecTec over another pellet cooker I was looking at & all they did was just trash the competition. From a former salesman it was extremely unprofessional and off putting, but others have been happy with them so it is up to where you as a consumer are comfortable putting your money.

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris Go look at that review on the main site and then scroll down into the comments.... some of their cult had a hard time with it... there was some other stuff on social media, youtube, and stuff…

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes Nate this certainly makes me think twice about buying a Rec-Tec in the future. I really will likely go for a Grilla or Campchef due to cost anyway, if and when I get a pellet smoker. Right now I am feeling more likely to get a PBC and a Blackstone 36" flat top, with the combined total coming in less than a lot of low end pellet smokers.

my gmg daniel boone has a dump on the back side. very easy

Comment

How is the humidity in your area? For me it is high year round. 40% is low, at 30% it makes the news.

Anyhow the main reason I would look for a pellet hopper dump is for humidity. I would want to dump the hopper after every cook and then run the auger until all the pellets in it were burned. I would keep the pellets in a plastic bucket with a snap on lid. And I would bring the bucket indoors with the AC for a few hours before snapping on the lid.

Other than that, everyone says pellet grills impart a very light smoke flavor, so I would just use "heavy" flavor pellets and if I like the results why bother with using anything else.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Plus 1 on the bucket head. Having said that I rarely change pellets out since I can't tell the difference half the time. I live in Houston which has humidity as high as Florida and don't have any issues with pellets getting wet. I do cover my cooker however, that's a must.

• Jefft54
              Jefft54 commented
              Editing a comment
              Living in So Cal, very low humidity. If we get over 20 percent, it's news

• choffert
              choffert commented
              Editing a comment
              I've taken the bucket head idea and made a 'chip collector' head for a 5 gallon bucket. I store my pellets in 5 gallon buckets anyway, so now I can remove each type of pellet to its respective bucket. I'll try to remember to post a pic when I get home...

I personally don't worry about changing out pellets. All the different flavors taste the same to me. Especially since pellets produce a milder smoke flavor to begin with.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree 100%. I've tried every flavor imaginable and can't hardly tell the difference. Maybe a little stronger with mesquite but all others not much. I think it's a big hoax personally.

• randy56
              randy56 commented
              Editing a comment
              X2 agree

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Smoke is part of the total gestalt of the cook. Your tastebuds can be trained to distinguish the different flavors of wood smoke, but you start with meat and smoke, leave other seasoning out.

As far as a pellet dump or not, as far as flavor profiles of choice, as far as any bad press is concerned, a Rec-Tec is still a very good cooker. Know lots of guys who have them and love them.

Comment

I think there is a lot of good advice here:

1. Buy a bucket head vacuum.
              2. Keep pellets in 5 gallon buckets with the snap on lids.
              3. Smoke flavor is light enough compared to wood chunks or stick burner that I personally think I would just buy something like CandySueQ 's Competition blend and use that all the time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here