Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Mods have you done to your RecTec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
    I like that Fuller's Earth mod... I am considering it for my Traeger. I think it would work the same way as in the Rec Tec
    It will Steveo.

Comment

I have done a MH grill hot spot check both back when it was stock and now with my mods. I think it is closer to the factory RTD temps all around than before but, I have found on most Pellet grills they vary significantly over a Mavrick. So, I mostly set mine up now and adjust the heat to get the appropriate temps on my Mavericks. It's whatever works for you. I know of several guys that have got a hold of Rec Tec and re-calibrated the RTD but, that is a futile effort at best and you have to learn your grill and how it heats and works for you which MH has said over and over.

Comment

Barry the "playing with fire" was half meant as a joke... since you're playing with a pellet fire

I really do have concerns though with that Fuller's Earth stuff. I'm not familiar with it but after a little light googling I am not seeing it as intended for use in high heat situations. Does it give off chemical vapor at high heat? My thoughts are that some versions of it probably do.

And I have a couple of concerns in regards to how it would impact the operation of the pellet smoker. The Fuller's Earth is insulating the bottom of the Rec Tec, especially the fire box. Are all of the Rec Tec parts designed to work in the higher heat environment the insulation will drive? How does this stuff impact ash? Since the ash can no longer fall to the bottom of the smoker, will more of it fly up into the air and potentially get on the food?

I'm going to ask Dr. Blonder for his input regarding the chemical vapor. Folks, stay tuned.

Comment

Here's my two cents:

Fuller's earth is a type of clay that easily absorbs oils. So it is used to clean up spills around a garage, in kitty litter trays, as a cosmetic additive, etc. The clay is mined from the earth, and as a complex blend of minerals as well as a natural product, varies in its safety. Some Fuller earths are very safe, others contain asbestos or petroleum products. It's safety has not been firmly established. A bit of a crap shoot using this material. I certainly recommend the first time you add the clay to run the smoker smoking hot, to burn off as much organic contamination as possible. Small pumice pellets would be an alternative.

Never the less, I would recommend an external insulation blanket instead of the Fuller's earth. I know, harder to install and there will be gaps, but safer and less likely to interfere with the smoker's performance.

Now, as to mod safety and manufacturer's advice: as you can probably tell, I LOVE to tinker with smokers and ovens and electronics. I've never found a product I didn't think could be redesigned for the better. But I also have a shop full of fancy testers- so for example, I can tell if a mod to a gasser is over producing carbon monoxide, or leaving propane unburned. Gas mods are often very problematic. People crank down the flow to drop the temp, and the gas burns poorly or can blow out and reignite.

Wood pellet fuel, no matter what the mod, is unlikely to do more damage than jam or catch the smoker on fire. So other than a possible toxicological issue, and violating the manufacturer's warranty, keep the smoker away from the side of the house or the trees, and smoke on through the winter.
          Last edited by docblonder; December 11, 2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Duff
            Duff commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tip on the insulation blanket as I didn't know such a thing existed! I checked RecTec's website this morning to see if they offered one and they do not, but my subsequent inquiry to them received a quick response. They said they plan to have one available for sale in mid to late January. I think I'll pursue that route for holding the heat in my cooker.

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            Duff, while a manufacturer sized/fitted blanket would certainly look better, you can probably make your own cheaper. I've used welder's blankets from haborfreight.com as just throw overs on my GOSM and Weber kettle. Recently, I bought some thermofelt and trimmed it down to a cleaner fit for the kettle.

Thanks for the input on the FE. When I first installed it I cranked up the grill to 400*F and let it burn for an hour and then shut it down. After it cooled I disassembled it, grate, drip pan, and flame deflector and checked for the ash build up. I had little to none on the grates, drip pan, and flame deflector. After my first long cook, a pork butt, of 13.5 hrs I also checked and the grates and drip pan had no build up. Under the flame deflector there was considerable ash and across the surface of the FE. I took my shop vac with the round brush attachment and vac'd up all the ash and some of the FE. When I installed the FE I only used 2/3 of the 40 lb bag so the silt is still in the bottom of the bag. When I use the rest of it I will put it through a screen sieve to get rid of the dust and extra small particles.

I am concerned about the impurities such as asbestos that could be in the FE and will look into the cost of switching it over to small pumice pellets.

Comment

• docblonder
            docblonder commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to hear you burned off the organics. Always best to heat ABOVE the highest cook temp, to be safe. I don't want to scare you about FE, it's just that there aren't any uniform quality standards for this product. Your supply is probably fine.

Breathing fine FE dust is an issue- so use a proper shopvac bag and hospital mask if the dust is airborne. We want you around for a long time, as a paying pit master member!

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
          I am concerned about the impurities such as asbestos that could be in the FE and will look into the cost of switching it over to small pumice pellets.
          ​Good idea Sir. I'd take that FE material out in the meantime. And make sure those Pumice pellets are rated for high heat in an oven.

Comment

Forgive me for not reading further up before asking this...but has the idea of beach sand been discussed already?

Comment

• docblonder
              docblonder commented
              Editing a comment
              Beach sand is only a modestly effective insulator. It will store heat, though.

docblonder commented
            December 12th, 2014, 10:07 AM

Glad to hear you burned off the organics. Always best to heat ABOVE the highest cook temp, to be safe. I don't want to scare you about FE, it's just that there aren't any uniform quality standards for this product. Your supply is probably fine.

Breathing fine FE dust is an issue- so use a proper shopvac bag and hospital mask if the dust is airborne. We want you around for a long time, as a paying pit master member!

I am not scared but, you brought out a good point on the possible impurities. I researched the web site of the FE manufacturer that made the product I am using and felt a lot better after I read about what they were selling. www.epminerals.com and the name of the product was Thrifty Sorb.

I have HEPA filters on all of my vacuum cleaners as I have a serious problem with Red Oak dust. While I was installing Red Oak flooring in the house I had a lot of problems with the Red Oak dust. I install conventional 3/4" X 4" tongue and groove and finished it myself. I was having lots of upper respiratory problems including single and double pneumonia. The D.O. that I go to when I can't take care of myself didn't thing the dust would cause any problems. After thoroughly researching the wood dust potential I found it was very real and bought an air particulate detector and checked the house. Bad stuff!! Cleaned the house from top to bottom got HEPA filters on everything and when sanding the floors I got a HEPA respirator and watch it closely. I only have the dining room and kitchen left to do and hopefully will get them done this next year. So far I have put down and finished about 1800 ft sq of flooring so i watch the impurities in the air including outside in the yard.

Doc, I really appreciate your input about air filtration which along with clean pure water will eventually be the two most valued commodities on the planet.

Comment

I also did a wheel mod that makes the RT about 2" higher.

More details and pics to come.

Comment

This is the fixed wheel replacement.

Comment

Just thought I'd add something about the downdraft hood.

I added one to my RT recently. I ordered the new style one from Mr. Hurd that has the little door that swings open to get back to original functionality if desired. Just a fun little option.

I may be imagining this, but did two separate chicken cooks, same recipe for both, and both in a foil pan. The cook with the original openining on the hood open came out with a better flavor. All the same it is nice to have the option of the hood on demand.

Comment

Marauderer. Where did you buy your wheels/bolts. I am assuming the drill bits are to make a larger hole for the axle. How did you mount the swivel wheels? They look smaller in diameter. Is there a slope to your finished product?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here