Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rec Tec Mini won't hold temp... Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rec Tec Mini won't hold temp... Any advice?

It's very odd. I've had my mini for just under a year. In the last month I started to lose control of temperature. I call it odd because it wasn't a problem I had at all for the first year.

Very simply stated I will set the smoker to 225 degrees and it won't ever settle in anywhere close to that temp. I've seen it go up and stick around 280 degrees and never come on back down. At best in the past few uses it hasn't stayed even 30 degrees close to where it is set.

I'm not talking about comparing temperatures to what my Maverick shows, simply what temp the Rec Tec thinks it is.

Cleaned the smoker out last weekend, but had the same issue yesterday. I dropped the temp to 200 and even then was bumping up and sticking around 250. I can open the smoker to allow the temp to drop back down but it quickly goes back up once I close. While I'm not positive, it also seems like it gets worse over time. Starting to pay more attention now and document what I'm seeing.

Should also add that I've compared it to my Maverick temps and while they aren't equal they are going up and down roughly equally so I don't think it's something related to the temp being read incorrectly by the controller.

Any random thoughts on this? Any type of reset on the controller?

Planning to reach out to support but through I would ask if anyone has seen anything like this before.

Thanks all.

-John
    Last edited by Butterman; July 17, 2016, 09:55 AM. Reason: Typo

Butterman you can call RecTec and I'm sure he can help you solve the problem you're having. My RecTec was tripping the breaker and I called to see what could be causing it and he sent me an igniter (free of charge). Problem was solved.

Comment

Thanks DWCowles. I plan to. Kind of kicking myself because when I first got my Rec Tec last year they told me how to reset the controller but I didn't write it down. Not sure it would help, but I like to figure out what I can if possible.

Comment

You can call him today and if you get his voice mail just leave him a brief massage and he will call you back.

Comment

It sounds like the controller. I've heard their customer service is very good, so once they are back in the office will help you get it solved.

Comment

• randy56
            randy56 commented
            Editing a comment
            agree sounds like controller, they send ya a new one.

You don't have to wait until office hrs you can call 24/7

Comment

Their customer service is reported to be incredible. Call the service, get served.

Comment

Butterman you can also email them and they will contact you back

Comment

Thanks everyone. I emailed this afternoon. Wasn't an emergency so I didn't want to call on a Sunday afternoon. Being someone who at times gets called from work for non-emergencies at night / weekend, I try to avoid asking for that in others unless I really need someone right away.

I've dealt with their customer service once before and it was an excellent experience. I'm sure it will be this time too.

Comment

Keep us posted when you find out what the problem was

Comment

• Butterman
                    Butterman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Will do.

You can search youtube for rec tec test mode and there's a video that goes through it.

I wrote it out below Use this to test each of the 5 parts of the rec tec

press extreme smoke mode and temp up button simultaneously until lights flash at you.

Hit power button repeatedly till display shows 5-2

press up button to proceed to 5-3

press down arrow to proceed to 5-4

press up temp display to proceed to 5-5

press extreme smoke button to display draft - this should turn on blower

press power button and ignitor rod should start to heat up. Will take a few minutes before glowing.

press power button again and auger should start running

press power button again to test RTD (thermometer)

press power button repeatedly till it says BYE and then goes blank. you are done.

It will then run through the regular rec tec start up messages.

Comment

• Butterman
                    Butterman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Dr ROK, will give this a try.

Quick update. Got a reply from them yesterday. That information is below. Was at work late yesterday so wasn't able to try this yet, but will try do get out on time so I can give it a shot tonight.

============Note from Ben=============================
                  This sounds like something that can be solved by adjusting the minimum feed
                  rate.
                  I have included a link to a video that shows the step by step procedure to
                  do it, but if you have any questions please give me a shout and we will get
                  this resolved.
                  Thanks so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmcAy64qjOE

Comment

There are a bunch of other videos out there as well, most seem to be from the last month or so. Haven't looked at any, but wanted to mention it.

#Grablifebythehorns with more heat, precision, & durability for incredible wood fired flavor. Over a decade ago, lifelong friends Ray Carnes and Ron Cundy developed a dream. Inspired by the idea of eating better, spending more time with loved ones, and doing the things they love to do, they set out to develop the highest quality wood pellet grills on the market. Thanks to the flavor, convenience, and versatility provided by their grills, that dream has flourished. Now, offering more than just grills, recteq has grown to become a multi-faceted lifestyle brand with an expanding line of outdoor products. With its new trademarked identity and armed with the same commitment to quality that has brought such success, the recteq dream is now positioned to endure, allowing future generations to spend more time with the people they love, enjoying the things they love to do.

Comment

I have never seen one of these in person, but what it sounds like you are experiencing could be related to the RTD. find out where it plugs into the board and unplug/ plug it a few times. If it has screw terminals, make sure they are tight. The temp is computed by the change in resistance in the loop. A bad connection will effect that

Comment

Thanks for the follow up Butterman Ben is one hell of a guy. Hope that solves your problem.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here