Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering at pit boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering at pit boss

I’m considering getting a pellet grill. Looking at spending around $500-600. I’m really considering the pit boss Austin xl. Anyone have any info in this brand? Also looking at camp chef & Oklahoma joes. Right now I’m using offsets and wouldn’t mind getting something i can set & forget

My grill is made by the same company that makes pit boss. I like my grill and use pit boss pellets.
    It's all good. Please note as with any cooker you got to learn to how it works, and how to use it for the best results.
    My pellet grill runs about 20% hotter than the readout. I did an all-day test and charted the results.
    Dansons is the parent company.

Comment

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX. The variety of cooks on the grill is endless. Smoke low and slow for extended times as well as wood roast at high temps for shorter time. The grill is effortless as long as you filled the hopper with ample amount of pellets. I do recommend with whichever pellet grill you decide on that you use good quality pellets. Good quality pellets contain 100% of the wood advertised and have no filler wood. Some less expensive pellets contain filler wood and are not 100% hickory, apple, cherry etc. Also pellet grills do not produce a very heavy smoke profile on food, to add more smoke a smoking tube can be used. Whatever one you decide on I think you will enjoy pellet grilling and smoking.

Comment

I think you can get a better quality smoker at your budget with Green Mountain or Camp Chef. The Grilla Chimp is also excellent but it can be a bit small if you regularly cook for large groups.

Comment

If you want Pit Boss, for the dollar you should look at their series 5 or 7 vertical smokers. They use a water pan for moisture and they can cook a ton of meat. My 1st pellet was the series 7 four years ago, still runs good and puts out way more smoke than some other smokers. It will hold 18 racks of St. Louis ribs, 6 briskets etc. It now comes with wifi. It is a good 1st pellet smoker. There is a review of the series 5 on this site. Good luck finding your smoker

Comment

I have had a Pitboss pro series 4 vertical smoker since April 2020. It's done good, and I have smoked a bunch since I got it. There are many things I don't like. The placement of the controls right under the door. Seems to always run very low compared to two readings on the theromoworks. The thermostat built in probe is right where grease can pile up on it. The thermostat shows 250-280 while theromoworks shows 170-200. I place the probes at mid and high level. It's now having ERH issues/overheating shutdowns at less than 300. This has only happened a very few times before when I tried a hot and fast brisket and a low temp cook. The hot and fast temps were well within its capability, just didn't keep running though. That was 4 months ago, now something seems very off and many other cooks.

Other things....temperature swings are 25-35 either way; however, have not gotten a bad cook. The new pro series 4 and Brunswick models do look good. The new pro series 4 does appear to have reworked many issues. Also, I store in a shed. It never is really in the elements. I did cook in a very cold windy rain storm under a carport, and it took longer to get the butt to set, but finally got it to wrap stage and transferred to oven. I run pit boss comp or B&B pelllets. Never an issue with either.
            Last edited by saneric38; March 7, 2021, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I love my Camp Chef Pro, have not used a Pit Boss
              My Camp Chef is 5 years old and have had no problems
              Last edited by jharner; March 7, 2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I loved my Pit Boss vertical, never had any issues with the bottom controls, but when I replace it I will be getting the controls on the side.

The included probe never agreed with my Fireboard probes so I never used the included probe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here