Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Premium vertical pellet smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium vertical pellet smokers

I currently have a WSM and a gas grill. The WSM doesn't get as much use as I would like due to the time and effort involved in setup, using and cleaning. In an effort to fix that situation, I decided to start looking at pellet smokers. I reviewed a bunch of options and thought I wanted a traditional pellet grill. Then I realized that I don't really have the space for it and it has grilling features that I don't need. This led me to the conclusion that I would be better off with a vertical smoker.

I'm still debating gas vs. pellet, but it seems pellet comes closer to my "set it and forget it" requirement since I don't need to worry about temperature during cooks nor do I have to refill woof chips/chunks during cooks. But I could still be swayed back to a gasser if that makes sense.

It's been very difficult to find reviews or even lists of options. And most of the ones I've found have been on the less expensive end - Masterbuilt, Louisiana, etc. The only "premium" vertical I've been able to find is the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro, but there don't seem to be any reviews. (though other Smoke Daddy products have been highly regarded)

Does anyone have any experience with the Pellet Pro vertical smoker and/or the PID controller?

And are there any other units I should be considering? The Pit Boss seems to be the closest I can find, but it doesn't seem to be built as well. I'm in the northeast and it will stay outside all season, so durability is important. I would prefer something in stainless but I don't see anything available like that.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    - Dave
    Last edited by dth122; June 15, 2020, 02:48 AM.

Have you considered the popular FEC100 by Cookshack? https://amazingribs.com/smoker/fast-...-fec100-review

Comment

I wasn't aware of that model - thanks for pointing it out. I know that I said I was looking for "premium" and the FEC100 certainly fits the bill, but it's more than I wanted to spend. It's also somewhat industrial looking for the back patio.

I'm really hoping to find someone with experience on the Pellet Pro, which seems to be in the sweet spot of what I'm looking for.

I'd also be interested in reviews or feedback on the Pit Boss vertical smokers. Maybe my concerns about durability are unfounded.

Or, is there anything else I should be considering?
      - Dave

Comment

What about the KBQ pit?
        I think you have to feed it, but if I understand right, that's all you have to do

Comment

Looks intriguing, but right on their website it says "this is not a set-it-and-forget-it" pit. I have a WSM that I'll keep for tended charcoal cooks. While it's a nice cooker, I don't think it checks the "convenience" box for me.
          - Dave

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct all though the KBQ is an excellent pit (actually my favorite pit) it is far from any of your set and forget or easy clean up.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here