Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another help me figure out what I "need" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit! Forget those pellet poopers. Buy another PBC!

Comment

• TJMagneto
      TJMagneto commented
      Editing a comment
      I want a PBJ.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Chunky or smooth? Grape or ? TJMagneto

• TJMagneto
      TJMagneto commented
      Editing a comment
      Chunky!

First, welcome from a fellow Oregonian!

For the size you're looking at you almost need like a huge charcoal grill or an offset...IMO. Or a KBQ. But that is racks to get the Sq In.

Pellet cookers never get smokey...Tasty, absolutely; but dense smokey goodness coating the meat? Nah.

Whatever you decide, show us what you chose!

Comment

• TJMagneto
      TJMagneto commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny you should insert the wine glass emoji. The wifey and I did about a week of wine tasting in the Willamette Dammit Valley a few years ago. It took me about a month before I wanted a glass of Pinot Noir again.
      Last edited by TJMagneto; June 13, 2020, 09:54 PM.

I have a Rec Tec RT-700 Bull. I loaded it up with all the available options and came in just under $2,000. I love it. I use the "extreme smoke" setting to get that flavor you want And the turn it up to a higher temp to finish off the cook. All from my LazyBoy via WiFi. That’s my recommendation......
    Best of luck with your decision!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. I have a Yoder 640. It won’t give the heavy smoke profile an offset will give you, but I personally think the smoke level is just about right to compliment the meat and not over power it.

Comment

I bought a Louisiana Grills Pellet smoker. Less than $500 @ CostCo (on sale). It works very well, but it is a little lite on the smoke. Fixed that!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200606_121729_1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	861339

Name:	20200611_163703_1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	861337

Name:	20200607_000109_1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	861338

Comment

Well, a stick burner is just gonna take more of your time, so some kind of automated setup is key. Pellet grills won't give you the smoke flavor you want, but they are super convenient. Have you thought about gravity fed smokers, like Backwoods Chubby G2 (or similar)? WIth a cabinet smoker you get large capacity, yet it is very easy to run. Just wanted to add that to the list.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! I am not a pellet smoker guy, but I am sure there are plenty in the Pit who can help.

Comment

I have the Grilla Silverbac Alpha, with all upgrades available. I also have the PBC. I will tell you that the flavor will not compare to the PBC. It just won't. It doesn't matter what smoke tubes or smoke daddy's you add, the PBC is just a thing of a miracle. Having said that, I also love my SB. I use it quite often as it is also another cooker you can dub "trust you cooker" or "set and forget". It comes with dual mode of both Grilla's original swing controller and PID controller for tighter tolerances. I regularly cook pizzas on the SB along with Pies and cinnamon rolls. I've also cooked fish and all of your "standard" BBQ meats. All have been fantastic. Customer Service is amazing. Mark really knows how to take care of his customers. I also live in the next city over, so I visit often (don't tell the wife). We also have a pretty large following at work and I help run a group of people there (Grilla Disciples).

Comment

Wait a minute.

pellet convenience, big smoke profile... this feels like a job for the Masterbuilt Gravity 1050. Or two 560s.

fits the budget, fits the wants.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who gave advice. I just pulled the trigger on a Grilla SilverBack Aplha. Being able to reliably set it and forget it was a little too tempting to pass up, and the Grilla products seemed to be the sweet spot for price and quality. Once it gets here (I literally just placed the order), I'll post my experience in the Grilla section. Again a big Thank You to everyone for chiming in and helping me out. -Norm

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome to the Jungle!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here