Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet Smokers

I bought a Traeger Pro 34 at the New York State Fair because it was a deal I couldn't pass up but truthfully I like my Camp Chef propane smoker better (I bought that smoker because of your ratings on it). Maybe I just haven't figured pellet smoking out yet because I bought it in September and didn't get to use it that much. I put the Traeger in the shed but kept the Camp Chef handy all winter and used it several times. I love your recipes and since my work place sells grills and smokers I always reccomend your site. Possibly you could put some recipes or suggestions on your web site on pellet smokers, a lot of people heap praise on them but I'm not one of them at least at this point.

Hi Jocko 1, I moved this post from Suggestion Box to the Pellet Cookers channel, since the discussion will likely be more about pellet cooker's strengths and weakness and less about the technical aspects of our forum or website.

To address 2 of your concerns:

1. Almost all of Meathead's recipes were tested and developed on his MAK 2 Star pellet cooker. Really any recipes are adaptable to any type of grill or smoker, because folks have any variety of them. So to address your suggestion about adding more recipes for pellet grills, any recipe you can cook in an oven or other smoker you can certainly cook on a pellet cooker, since they're all hot boxes, just with different amounts/types of smoke in the hot air.

2. As you scan through different pellet cooker reviews on our site, you'll notice talk of them being 'delicate' and 'mild' with regard to the smoke flavor they impart. Some folks would call it "weak", but it's all subjective. They are lighter on the smoke than charcoal, wood, and even gas if you use wood chunks in your gas smoker. We do have links to some devices to help add more smoke flavor. You can find all this info and much much more in this article. Enjoy!

Comment

• Jocko 1
      Jocko 1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I have a bad habit of using the site on my ipad without signing in, but I'm signed in today because I'm doing a briskett and wanted to print everything out.

Jocko 1 I have had a Pellet Smoker/Grill for over 15 years and use it quite a bit. However I realize it doesn't "Smoke" as much as my Charcoal Grills generally speaking. I often think of my pellet unit as a "Wood Fired Oven" that produces very light smoke. I sometimes think we're led to believe that Pellet Grills/Smokers are "smokier" than they really are.

Comment

• Jocko 1
      Jocko 1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, I have referred to mine as my outside oven ! I haven't much bothered with Traegers recipes because everything I do with these recipes turns out very good.

• Jocko 1
      Jocko 1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I don't get into the forums very often mostly the recipes. I have come to the same conclusion its a smoker of conveniance ! Easyier for me to use as I have wide open land leading up to my deck and it's usually windy so easier to keep a low and slow temp in the pellett smoker then my propane smoker. Thanks Skip!

I have a small Traeger Scout that we use for grilling, but I may buy a Grilla later this year more for convenience than anything else. Everything I read here tells me that the smoke flavors will be milder on the pellet grill. I think the mfr sites and other more general web site reviews are geared towards people that want a smoker that is easier than charcoal or stick burners, and they don't mention the milder smoke flavors.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here