Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So if not Weber, then...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in the same boat after taking delivery of my EX6 SmokeFire one week ago. Talked to Weber Tuesday explaining all the issues, primarily those that are safety related, and they are taking it back. The SF was my 4th PG. I’ve owned PG’s in the $500 (test rig to see if I liked) to $1,200 range with the SF. While the SF is in a league of its own, I had nothing but headaches with the other cookers as well. On my GMG I replaced the control board (twice), auger, power supply, thermocouple (twice), all within one year. The temp variances were all over the place. Similar issues with an LG 900 (control board and temp sensor). After the SF debacle I determined it was necessary to move up to the next tier and considered Yoder, Pitts & Spitts and MAK. Yoder seemed to have a lot of headaches relating to temp, cleaning and rust. P&S seems very nice, but I ultimately decided on a MAK 1 Star with Flame Zone due to their reputation, ease of clean out, versatility and service. American made factored in as well. Should arrive early next week, and I’m hopeful to finally be free of headaches. It will sit alongside my S-670 Summit NG gasser and Performer Deluxe.
    Last edited by Goldenbear; February 21, 2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Haven't even done the currency conversion but the price differences between the MAKs and the SmokeFire would leave me out of that option. I'd rather deal with the SmokeFire issues than have to convince SWMBO to spend $1800, $2800, or $3800 USD on a pellet pooper. :-)

• Goldenbear
      Goldenbear commented
      Editing a comment
      Understood. In my case, my SO was tired of all the other problems and encouraged it, especially after seeing the SmokeFire catch fire as I was tending it. No thanks. I take care of my things. My Summit is now 13 years old, all original components, and looks and cooks like new.
      Last edited by Goldenbear; February 21, 2020, 05:30 PM.

Were I looking for a "new" pellet pooper, knowing what I know now, I'd search craigslist for an older Traeger from when they were made of rolled steel and replace the guts and/or controller with the SmokeDaddy rebuild kit. You'd have to be a little handy and put in the work but you'd have a pretty nice cooker that you would be intimately familiar with, probably for a lot less than $1k. Just a thought.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; February 21, 2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but here goes. If you look for it on sale at Lowes or a few other places you can get a Kamado Joe classic for around $750 with all the accessories. Add in a Smobot and you come in at near your price point. I grill burgers on mine regularly and reverse sear steaks on it almost every week. With the Smobot wifi system it doesn't get any more set and forget. Not to mention you get 2 good food probes with it. I can look at my phone or iPad from almost any where and see or change if I wish, the pit temp and know the IT of the meat, not to mention it's all laid out on a nice graph. There are no fans involved. If I set mine at 300f for a hot, fast brisket cook the temp swings I see are normally between 292 and 305, that's better than our new oven in the kitchen will do. It will amaze you how long a load of good lump lasts in a kamado. I've learned to bake bread, make pizza, do brisket, ribs, pork butt, and prime rib in mine. It is not the answer to all things related to grilling and smoking to it's pretty good at most of it.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Flack? Sounds like a great alternative to me!

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love my KJ

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, kamados are a beautiful thing. My WSCGC in "kamado mode" is a beast. And it functions quite well as a kettle. All that’s the long way of saying that I agree with your assessment and recommendation. Add a fan controller for piece of mind (I don’t have one) and it’s about as set-n-forget as they come.

Hey, y'all, just now possibly in the market for a vertical pellet smoker and have been reading all your posts here. They don't directly answer my questions, but maybe some of you might be able to help me out or direct me to a more specific channel? I have a 10 year old gasser that I have been happy with and now it's time to part ways. I'm intrigued with the ease of the pellet smokers and am leaning towards one. The two big questions I have are: 1) are the vertical or upright pellet smokers any good (I like the smaller footprint), and 2) will I get equal or better smoke flavor?

Any info I will appreciate. If you tell me where to go, that's fine, too (used to that from my wife!) Thanks much.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        You say you currently have a gasser. An upright gasser? That's what I had, as well as the Weber Genesis I still have. Depends on just what capacity you want. My first pellet burner was an Original Grilla. Smaller footprint, unique design which gives a good smoke profile, better capacity than some think just by looking at it. Or, there are other cabinet pellet smokers, but I have no personal experience.

Bogy, yes, have an upright gasser--a Smoke Hollow--38 in high, 3.5 cu ft cooking areas divided by 3 racks. It has done a fine job, but a lot of a smoke escapes (even after resealing and tightening closesrs; and always have to futz with temp, even after putting in "fine tuning" valve on gas line. I could be ready for something easier to use, but don't want to give up good taste for it. I've seen the OG and was intrigued by it and its design. So why did you move on from it?

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, I still have it. It's now at my vacation home. In many ways I miss using it to cook on all the time. It gives me as good a flavor as the cabinet gasser I had. Much easier to keep on temp, and mine is an original OG, with a dial controller. It's my first, because I bought a second pellet burner, a Blaz'n Grid Iron, that's at our primary home. I bought it because I wanted something with more capacity. I'm a pastor and do cooks for the whole congregation.

Well, it's good to here that I can still get some good smoke flavor out of an upright PS. And it wasn't the original grilla I had seen. Checked it again and it is the Grilla Pro or Alpha--definitely a strange shape. You cook for your whole congregation and with a smoker! I think I need to be a part of your church! Just checked out the Grid Iron. Looks like a pretty darn good cooker.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Really like the OG. Definitely unique. The shape and the fact that it doesn't have a "smokestack" but instead vents out the edge of the door, increases the smoke effect. Love the Grid Iron as well. They make a smaller Grand Slam, which I had looked at, but I got a deal on the Grid Iron for the price of the Grand Slam. I can easy cook for my family when everyone is together on the OG. I have done 60 lbs of pork on the GS, and have done 3 14 lb. briskets, but I could easily do 6. 2 small churches.

The Grilla looks like a an R2D2 cousin. I like your thoughts on it and it's closer to my price range. I appreciate your quick feedback!

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        You can find reviews by myself and others here who have them. Very devoted following, and while I'm sure there is someone who had a bad experience, I can't remember seeing one. And let's face it, someone who has a bad experience is more likely to write it than the person who had a good experience. I would have gotten a second one if it weren't for wanting a little more capacity. Looking forward to when I have both cookers in the same place. The OG is the one that will get most of the use.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here