Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traeger vs Memphis Pelles ... and 1 other question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traeger vs Memphis Pelles ... and 1 other question

I've had Traeger smokers for a long time but I'm considering flipping my 'north/Canadian' one to my daughter who will appreciate it and getting a Memphis to replace it. I had the 'privilege' this weekend of helping a friend inaugurate his Memphis pro - we did Ribs on day 1 (at 225) and Lamb Chops on day 2 at 505F so we got some experience with both ends of the temp range. That was fun ! And both turnouts were great!

First question - is there a difference between Traeger and Memphis brand pellets in their makeup and performance. Sure Traeger wants you to buy theirs and Memphis likewise (and nobody wants you to use heating pellets). So if I got a Memphis but had a hard time getting their branded pellets, what might my experience be using the very-commonly-available Traeger's on the Memphis ????

Second, I am accustomed to foiling my drip tray in my Traeger and changing it more-or-less every time. We didn't do that on the Memphis and you really can't, of course, if you want to use the direct-fire (sic) grate. But as a question to Memphis users, do you ever tin-foil the smoker plate to make cleanup easier. ??? ...I noted that after 2 cooks there was a lot of buildup on it.

jc

Ignore both Traeger and Memphis pellets and use CookinPellets or any other brand of cooking grade pellet you find that you like. Traeger pellets work fine, but they are very secretive about what is in them and Traeger does own patents for flavored oils on hardwood pellets. Speculation is everywhere about what they really are. Memphis pellets are just hard to find. I used primarily CookinPellets on mine with great results. I would burn Traeger if I had to pick some up locally in a pinch, but did start to notice the smoke flavor wasn't as good.

Memphis is a top notch grill, I never foiled my flavorizer/grease tray on mine. The biggest thing is to make sure that the grill is very clean before cranking up past smoking temps. A lot of grease can collect and gum up on the grease tray and in the corners of the grill where the deflectors channel grease to the drawer and can catch fire when you crank it up to 400+ degrees and it starts melting and dripping. When you have the room, you can use drip pans when smoking fatty meats like butts and chuckies.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here