Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone converted FEC-100 Traeger to IQ-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone converted FEC-100 Traeger to IQ-5

I acquired one of the early Fast Eddy 100's back in 2005 when competing regularly. It has the original Traeger controller. I compete infrequently now but still have cooked on it regularly at least once a week. Welp, it finally stopped on me. I'm waiting to hear from Cookshack customer service on if there is a possible quick fix like a reset, a fuse, or a magic button to fire it back up. Realistically, it is probably time to make a choice.

Upgrading to the new IQ5 controller is $2500+ for the equipment, plus having someone put it in for me. Has anyone here done this with an older unit? What are your thoughts about the outcome?

First world problem, to be sure, but wondering if I should just sell the unit for the value of the meat box to someone who might be interested in upgrading it and getting a lower-priced vertical unit like The Pellet Pro, or upgrading. I also have an XL Big Green Egg, a KBQ, XL Weber Bullet, and big gasser with charcoal tray. (This is about the only place guys like us understand these dilemmas. HA!)

I wish I could help you, but this is way outta my league! I will point our resident expert CandySueQ here to see if she may have any words of advice.

Comment

ArtSob does it have the ramp or not? I doubt that you’ll get much help on the old Traeger controller. How did it die? My old 2004 model (no ramp) died from auger motor. Sold it to a friend this past spring for $1500 as is, with all the spare parts I had. That said, I don’t think it’s worth a $2500 pellet fire upgrade. But, Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro is a solid option. Dennis likely has parts, you don’t need a hopper or fire pot.

Miss my FEC, it’s an amazing workhorse of a cabinet smoker. Helped me win a goodly amount of prize money. Be glad to help you resurrect!

Comment

CandySueQ, thanks for the reply! I remember back in the day you were one of the first people to sell pellets when pellet cookers weren't so prevalent. I got the FE because I got tired of watching guys "set it and forget it" and go to sleep at comps while I tended a fire all night!

Yes, it has the ramp. I don't know the cause. There is no power at all when I turn the knob. I doubt if it's the fuse but I'll check that, and check with Cookshack--tried calling yesterday but either they weren't open or too busy.

Funny coincidence, I had just sent a message to Smoke Daddy before I read your reply. I saw their conversion kit and that they have other options. And, I like their Pellet Pro also so that might be a good option. I'm not really competing anymore (one a year maybe) so just need a vertical for quick, and larger cooks (I also have a KBQ, XL Egg, and XL WSM).

Thanks again, and hope you had a great Christmas!

Comment

Thanks! Happy New Year to you! Liz with Smoke Daddy called in yesterday. I asked about replacing "works" in your FEC/Traeger. She said no problem with changing out the guts with working parts. 847-336-1329

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here