Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie.. couple of thoughts and questions. Personal debate between CC Woodwind vs Weber SmokeFire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie.. couple of thoughts and questions. Personal debate between CC Woodwind vs Weber SmokeFire

Hello, I am rather new to the site and currently the owner of an offset OK Joe Smoker.. I am making the switch to a pellet smoker mostly due to time restraints around a growing family.

Currently, I am leaning heavily towards purchasing a Camp Chef Woodwind w/ the sidekick. Mainly because it seems very versatile. The sidekick attachments that are available seem to open a lot of possibilities that a traditional pellet grill can't offer.

However, like most I am rather excited about the Weber SmokeFire's capabilities and videos I've found so far. I know most of these answers would be speculation since the smokefire has not been released yet.

Some of my concerns/questions are:
    • The temperature.. weber's temp range is listed 200-600. I would expect to be able to hit 150 to put more smoke on the meat, Camp chef goes from 160 atleast. I'm wondering if that will end up being a limitation or something not to worry about?
    • The chimney vs rear exhaust gates.. It seems any higher end model moves away from the chimney. Is this something to give real consideration to?
    • Construction material.. Thoughts on the construction of either of those grills for colder and wetter climates? I was hoping to find a dual insulated smoker but it's hard to get past the benefits of these two smokers at their price point.
    • Customer Service? Any thoughts on weber vs camp chef customer service and warranties?
    Hopefully I've made sense and haven't come across as a bumbling buffoon!

Welcome from the mountains of NC. Did you see the review on here of the Weber it was last week.

Comment

I already hold that title - bumbling buffoon - so no worries. I can't speak to the Camp Chef, but I am really partial to Weber. I have had several kettles and a couple smokey mountain smokers, and their customer service is excellent. So I would lean towards the SmokeFire. Camp Chef has a pretty good rep though. I just bought one of their propane camp stoves.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bumbling buffoon? You? Not a chance!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4, depends on the timing and how my wife is feeling.

Welcome to The Pit. I can't speak about Camp Chef, but Weber has great customer service.

Comment

Oh yeah, and like RonB said, welcome to the pit.

Comment

So obviously speculation, but I think by design as a pellet grill first and a smoker second, the Weber isn't gonna go that low and slow. 200 is fine though for the majority of things one would smoke. I would also hazard that Weber will have a solid aftermarket and if someone can figure out a doodad to make it chug along reliably at a lower temp, they will do so and pocket some coin. The only other pellet smoker in this price range that is designed as a grill first and smoker second (that I'm aware of) is the Rec Tec Bullseye (which is getting a re-release very soon, I'd hazard due to mediocre reviews and the entry of the Weber to the market).

The main thing here is gonna be how fast the Weber gets to max temp from low temp, that's the biggest hurdle for pellet smoker/grills IMO. If it doesn't get up to temp quick, having a standalone grill or the woodwind sear box is still gonna be the way to go. And if the Weber doesn't get to temp quick (the previewers all seem to lean towards it going from off to high quick) then what's the point.

For the cold, honestly alot of people in the colder climates use welding blankets on their pellet smokers (and probably other fuel types too?) regardless of their construction.

Both companies have histories of customer service easily found online, mostly positive for both.

If I was looking to buy right now in that price range, I personally would wait and see what the real world results are for the Weber purely for the aftermarket support. The CampChef units are pretty good and rate highly in their price bracket, but knowing I can buy upgrades and modifications already on the market sure is intriguing.

Comment

I can tell you that Camp Chef has always had good customer service when I’ve needed it, but that was concerning a different smoker. My impression on the Weber is that it is coming from a reputable company, with good customer service. However, right now the Smokefire is new and all we have to go on is marketing materials. Even Max only got a short time with it and he hasn’t put it through all the paces yet. I would personally wait until Max has completed his hands on assessment, coming in Part 2 of his review, before making a decision. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Comment

Depending on what you're cooking there are hacks to get a little extra smoke at lower temps. My favorite thing to do with pellets, and I do this on everything I cook on them, is put the ice-cold meat on before I even push the power button. Then the meat gets that initial cloud of start-up smoke, and basks in it as the temp rises from ambient to your set point. Averaging out you'll be in the range you want for a good while. Even if the Weber actually will not go lower than 200, doing that and cooking at 200 should be mighty fine, but it simply will not taste like your OK Joe no matter what you do, be aware of that! Pellets are very mild. Otherwise you could try turning it on/off a few times as it's heating up if you insist you need 150 (assuming jerky or things like that?) Or you could adapt and cook at 200, since that's really your safest way to go about cooking meat is 200.

Comment

I have a CampChef SmokePro STX. I haven't looked close enough at the WoodWind to know what all is different, but from pics, mine looks pretty similar without as nice of cart, side shelf, lid. etc.

What can I say about the CampChef? It cooks food just fine, keeps temps pretty decent. It fits exactly what I was looking for in a temporary grill. What else can I say about it? It leaks a lot of smoke, seems to burn a lot of pellets, isn't very pretty, seems the cheapest/poorest construction of the 6 pellet grills I've owned. That being said I have absolutely no regrets about buying it, but I found a steal and only plan on keeping it around a very short while. Had I paid a lot more I would not be very thrilled with it. Though it is quite possible the WoodWind is a significantly better built unit than what I have, for some reason CampChef has never hit me a sturdy, durable, and long lasting high quality brand and the SmokePro hasn't changed that opinion.

The Weber appears to be a lot better product, but until it's in peoples hands, it's just an appearance. I'll plan on taking the gamble though personally and am counting down the days until pre-orders open.

Comment

Have you considered other brands? I originally was dead set on buying a Woodwind and ended up with a Grilla Silverbac Alpha.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here