Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Pellet Heads Want More Smoke Flavor ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Pellet Heads Want More Smoke Flavor ...

... here you go! My solution, my version of a smoke tube:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_160621.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	737871
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_161251.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	737872
    It may not be easy to see but this is a charcoal basket with a 6 lit briquettes and a couple of small wood chips in my Mak 1 star.

You try cooking something on it with that setup yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Smoking77 View Post
      You try cooking something on it with that setup yet?
      Not yet. Still working out the kinks. The briquettes leave a lot of ash so next try will be with lump. And when the wood catches fire it flames up a bit so placement is crucial.

Comment

I’d be concerned about some bitter smoke from the proximity. Had a bit of that on something I did with a tube once with improper placement.

Comment

I have great smoke output at lower temps on my Yoder, but at higher temps if I want more smoke I use a tube. Thinking of trying Mojoblocks. Anyone with experience on them? Kinda expensive it seems to me.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Have been intrigued by mojo blocks but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

• Texas Larry
            Texas Larry commented
            Editing a comment
            To clarify, I seldom feel the need for more smoke than I actually get on my Yoder at higher temps, which lends a great flavor profile. But on the few occasions when I have, I’ve use a tube.

On my Grilla I've been surprised at how much smoke I get even at 325. Mine is the real old rotary dial controller, with huge swings, and I think that helps. That was Grilla's argument for why they didn't use a PID controller. Now that they sell a PID they have a new pitch. Although the new controller offers both PID and non-PID. My new Blaz'n Grid Iron has the PID controller. I have the Blaz'n Smoke Pro, their version of a "smoke tube". I bought that when I was still using my Weber Genesis for smoking, and it worked well. Tried it in my Grilla a few times, and it never worked. Finally saw that the OG is so airtight that there isn't enough oxygen make a smoke tube work. I'm going to smoke a fresh ham tomorrow on the Grid Iron, and I want lots of smoke. This will be a good chance to try the Smoke Pro out in the unit it was designed for.
          Last edited by Bogy; September 3, 2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Tubes are for lightweights. If you really want smoke you need this stainless steel, welded plate monster. This is going to last forever.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoke pro smoke looks like kind of dirty smoke???
            I'm new to the pellet world so maybe not?
            Last edited by hogdog6; September 21, 2019, 01:15 PM.

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            hogdog6 You aren't going to get that thin blue smoke. It's going to produce more white smoke. I haven't used a "smoke tube" only other smoke boxes, so I don't know what they actually produce, although my suspicion is that smoldering pellets are smoldering pellets, no matter what they are in. Open to being corrected if the tubes produce a cleaner smoke. As to what kind of smoke is produced, I believe the pellets used are going to make more difference than the device used.

I dump a small handful of pellets into the fire pot before start up. After that it is all buttons.

Comment

Wrap your wood in foil to keep from catching fire. Il post pics how I do it.

Comment

I found the SMOKE setting on my MAK 2 Star has a good amount of smoke flavor. Occasionally I have added time to get more smoke.

I think I read here meat will absorb smoke until around 140 degrees IT. How does added time, such as going from 30 minutes to an hour, affect smoke flavor?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here