Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pan in pellet smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pan in pellet smoker?

Should I put a water pan in my GMG Jim Bowie pellet smoker? I do when I use all my other BBQs but I haven't seen anything online about pellet smokers using a water pan.

I can’t speak for your GMG but I’ve not found a need for water in my Yoder YS640. Seems to retain moisture very well. Others will add their experience I’m sure.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto on this. I have tried it and found no difference.

This is probably going to be a matter of personal preference. I have a pellet cooker, specifically a Camp Chef WoodWind, and I haven’t used a water pan with it. This cooker is pretty efficient. Done many things, short and long cooks, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish and lamb. it could be that my cooking surface area is somewhat limited in the pellet cooker as compared to other smokers, and I haven’t felt the need to use a water pan.

On the other hand, when I’m cooking with the KBQ, I always use a water pan. During long cooks, I tend to top off the pan if needed.

You may have to do some tests and see if it makes a difference. If I have a brisket in mind, I’ll use the pellet cooker if it’s 15 lbs or less. If I have more than one brisket to cook at the same time, I’ll use the KBQ. They turn out excellent either way, maybe a bit better with the KBQ, but I’m not so sure it’s the water pan what takes it a notch or two above. It’s likely to be wood selection and the way the unit operates.

Do some tests and check with your friends and family, see what they like best. Stick to the same type of protein, same seasoning and same pellets to keep it fair. It’s likely going to be a matter of preference when using the pellet cooker. Hope this helps.

Ricardo
    PS: Don’t be surprised if some cuts end up being preferred without a water pan, vs other being prefers with a it. I would think that Temperature and Time are directly proportional to any cut of protein tendency to dry out. Low and slow is a way to balance this and achieve excellent results. Fat also plays a role. I’ve tried brisket with fat side up, down, thin and thick, water pan with juice, plain water and nothing too. In our case, it’s a matter of preference. I’ve found that fat trimming is key, but taking it all off is a big mistake. I like to leave about 1/4 inch of fat and cook it fat side up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here