Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a good way to use wood chunks for extra smoke in a Yoder pellet cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a good way to use wood chunks for extra smoke in a Yoder pellet cooker?

Title of post says it all. I have a Yoder YS640 and I want to figure out a way to use wood chunks for extra smoke flavor as opposed to buying and using something like the amazing smoke tube with extra pellets.

Originally posted by rickdiculous88 View Post
    Title of post says it all. I have a Yoder YS640 and I want to figure out a way to use wood chunks for extra smoke flavor as opposed to buying and using something like the amazing smoke tube with extra pellets.
    THIS guy seems to think so ...

Comment

Haven’t tried Mojo Bricks, but use an Amazen tube clone. Only needed at higher temps. I get plenty of smoke below 275.

Comment

If you can fit any on the burn pot under the drip tray, or even on the drip tray, absolutely. So long as it gets heat and can burn or smolder.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          You wouldn’t want to place anything on, in, or even too near the burn pot for fear of disrupting airflow and/or combustion. Even worse, you might cause a flame-out ... which can be dangerous in a pellet smoker if you don’t clean it out thoroughly and restart it properly.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          MBMorgan, no of course not in it, on it. Depending on how it's built. I don't own a Yoder but mine has a burn pot cover/diffuser, so placing one on it would work in such a case, or on top of the drip tray.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely ... putting it above the burn pot on the first diffuser would be fine.

I, too, have only used the Amaz'n (sp) tube. The bricks are interesting I might try that on my YS640.

Comment

I have a YS-640. I guess you could put a chunk of wood on the diffuser. That said, the amazin’ smoke Tube works well and is worth the price it costs. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here