Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet Grill for Fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet Grill for Fish?

Okay...so I married the Ultimate Redhead & can put up with all that entails (she's angry at all the stereotypes but checks all the boxes. Like I said, redhead). She's also a Foodie who will not touch anything that fish has been on. Grills, smokers...she can even tell when her french fries have been in a deep fryer that once fried fish. It's kinda creepy how on target she can be.

Sooo....last night at a neighborhood gathering I poured enough watermelon margaritas down her to secure funding for a pellet smoker dedicated to fish only. I haven't looked through all the reviews yet, but has anyone had experience with a small pellet smoker? I want something that generates light smoke, it won't be used that often & will be cranking out product for friends and coworkers (I probably won't even be able to bring plates through the house).

I’m sure every pellet griller will chime in. I’d choose an inexpensive model if it’s not going to be used a lot. My pellet cooker is ideal for fish because by default pellets only produce a milder smoke. Good luck in your search !!

(btw my mom was a redhead, I get it !!)

Comment

Honestly, what you are looking for is probably a cheap gasser or even a charcoal grill and then use a pellet tube or maze. Fish takes smoke quickly so as long as you can control the temp for the main source of fuel you're good. I love my pellet cooker, but if I was only using it for fish I was already getting great results on my gasser with fish and chicken using just the a-maz-n tray and some pellets. The longer cooks like pork butts and brisket and jerky is where the pellet cooker shines. I believe for the money of even the cheapest pellet cooker, you can find another fuel type grill that will last so much longer than what I'd be willing to spend on a pellet grill that was just for fish. If you're dead set on it, then I'd go Camp Chef's lower end (I think cabellas and the like have them rebranded in store). That's my 2 cents.

Comment

I can't help, but my first thought was that since fish don't have hands, it's hard for them to use any grill...

Comment

• Livermoron
          Livermoron commented
          Editing a comment
          "If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as sh*t! "

-Mitch Hedberg

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Livermoron mitch hedberg...man i remember listening to him a long time ago.

"You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later"

grantgallagher I miss Mitch.

"when I was a kid, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was..."

Comment

Have a look at the Grilla Grills Chimp. Small, reasonably priced, portable, and gets great reviews.

Comment

Buying guides to hundreds of grills, smokers, thermometers, BBQ accessories and much more, all tested by our team of experts. Called “The most respected and comprehensive reviewers of grills and smokers in the world” by Forbes

Comment

I have a Rec Tec Trailblazer RT-340 which would work great for cooking fish, but not if you want "smoked" fish. For me, the Rec Tec wouldn't go low enough in temp for "smoked" salmon. I actually liked my electric smoker for that, but gave it to my son when I got my pellet smoker. https://bettergrills.com/rec-tec-grill-review/.

Comment

I would think an electric would work better, especially if you want to cold smoke.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here