Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-Maze-N-Smoke tube or similar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-Maze-N-Smoke tube or similar?

Anyone use one of these or something like it for additional smoke for a pellet grill? Would like you honest opinion.
    Attached Files

I've used once when I cold smoked something and another when I had the heat turned up on my YS-640 and wanted a bit of smoke flavor. Otherwise I haven't used it as I like the smoke profile that I get from the Yoder.

-SP

Comment

I use one to cold smoke cheese every year.

Comment

I should have added not really looking to cold smoke. Mostly for added smoke to a meat if I want.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't found I need it unless at high temp and have only used it one time.

• Missin44
          Missin44 commented
          Editing a comment
          So did it accomplish what you wanted it to do?

I tried smokin' with one once, but the metal got hot and burned my lips.

Comment

I use it occasionally in my Rec Tec Trailblazer. It works well there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190302_165656.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	693799

Name:	20190302_182406.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	693800

Name:	20190302_201039.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	693801Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_122212.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	693802Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_160949.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	693803Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_191049.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	693804

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice looking ribs

I recently got rid of my pellet cooker. That being said, I used smoke tubes all the time. Especially when cooking at higher temps as very little smoke is generated from pellet cookers at higher temps. I recommend getting one that is hexagonal in shape. That way you have more flexibility in placing it. The round ones can roll around unless you place it parallel with the grates.

Comment

I can't keep one lit in my pellet or my gasser. You might want to fashion one out of aluminum foil and see if that works first before investing in a tube or tray. Wish I had, I really have no use for mine, sits on the shelf.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I gave mine away to a friend when I ditched my gasser. They enjoy it as much as I did and are now looking at pellet cookers lol.

I use mine for cold smoking or if I smoke something in a pan and for things that cook quickly. Works good in my YS460

Comment

I use mine on my gas grill along with one of those metal boxes you put wood chips in (used to just use the box). It adds a little smoke flavor to the process. And, they are relatively cheap, so why not?

Comment

LOVE em....I use them with every Pellet cook.....but I like a LOT of smoke...
                also it helps to get a Butane Torch----makes for easy lighting

Comment

Like Murdy, I use mine in the gasser. It provides a mild smoke flavor to meats. When I am feeling lazy and want to put some smoke on a tri-tip before searing, I go that route. I recently tried it with a mix of hickory and black walnut pellets and that really increased the smoke profile. It was still not heavy, but it provided a greater depth by mixing the two (as suggested by CandySueQ.

I use the A-Maze-N smoke tube. The one I have is oval, so it easily nests within the rungs of a grill grate. I light it with a butane torch I purchased off of Amazon. Make sure you let the pellets burn long enough and don't snuff them out once you light them. Let the flame die off on its own, that way you have a strong enough cinder bed to keep burning off the remainder of the pellets.

Comment

• Murdy
                    Murdy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed, the torch is key. If I recall, the recommendation is to let it burn at least 10 minutes before blowing out the flame and letting it smolder. I've never had one go out prior to burning the whole tube.

I had the a-maz-n tray and used it with my gas grill with great effect, but I tried it with my MAK and it just doesn't stay lit OR goes into full flame depending on placement due to the fan and draft system. Honestly I'm very happy with the smoke profile my MAK produces. However I've seen a lot of people with Camp Chef and Rec Tec models wanting more smoke and having success with the tube style. I just never got around to buying one since I don't need the additional smoke output.
                  Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; June 13, 2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I use mine (brand x) for the rare times when I want more smoke smoke at temps above 275 or so. But I generally enjoy the great smoke profile of my Yoder YS640. I also use it for cold smoking and smoking salt.

Comment

I use one in my 12yo Treager all the time. It really helps boost the smoke on the 'ol Traeger which I think is needed. I also use a small one occasionally on my gasser. Bottom line: I'm definitely a fan of the smoking tubes. The comments about using a torch and making sure it is strongly lit are spot on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here