Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Yoder YS640s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Yoder YS640s

So, new Yoder YS640s with built in Fireboard and new ceramic igniter—https://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-...=Master%20List. Mine is only 7 months old🤨🙄. Wondering if there will be a retrofit available?...

This is why i keep waiting to replace my old Treager. Seems like every month the pellet poopers are one-uping eachother. That's a gorgeous cooker.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      I have queried Yoder. Waiting for a reply. May be too soon.

Oh my. For the busy family this could be a game changer.

Comment

YEah! Awesome upgrades! No idea on the retro fit, but there could be an option. Give them a call!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea my Pitts and Spitts has a new controller as well, called them and they wanted $400 to upgrade my unit, IF I carted it to them. Forget it. Cooks within +-5* as is, how much better can it be?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        $400 is probably not worth it. Troutman It is nice to see that they are improving the current model though.

I really like the looks of that controller powered by Fireboard. Also like that ceramic rod ignitor. It does seem like the pellet industry is trying to outdo each other for a share of the market, so many out there to choose from.

Comment

Love m current 640. Wish they would just make the diffuser door standard instead of an add-on. That would be a big improvement. ACS system sounds neat, but I already have a fireboard which I can use on any grill or smoker. I also wonder if that much more input from the controller is necessary. My temps already are steady and I prefer to make decisions on my cooking, not the controller.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the Fireboard mention is a misnomer. They are using PID control logic that was written by the Fireboard folks. Most controllers these days pretty much achieve the same thing, steady temps like any good convection oven.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          I am with you on being able to trust my YS640 as it is. Don’t think an upgrade would be worth $400+. If I needed WiFi, which I don’t🙄, I can get it cheaper than that. The ceramic igniter is intriguing though.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree and wish they would have included the upgraded heat shield with access door as standard though. It was VERY hard not to purchase a Yoder even with my inclination to be lazy and the corrosion mitigation requirements that ownership would have brought. There's just so many great reviews about the food the units put out. If their ceramic ignitor is anything like MAKs, it will pay for itself in time lost and replacement costs of the old unit.

I heard there will be a retro fit kit for the controller available Q3 but haven't seen a price yet. The ceramic igniter is available now for $52.95.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          The ignitor is worth the money. Controller may not be imho.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know.

Yep, that’s the word... retro kits coming Q3 of this year.

Comment

I’m interested to see how it all works. Love my YS-640. Would certainly consider doing the upgrade as I too like the integration of the Fireboard system.

Comment

I ordered a new YS-640s two weeks ago. The waiting game is killing me.....

Comment

Originally posted by Noverini View Post
              I ordered a new YS-640s two weeks ago. The waiting game is killing me.....
              Patience is a virtue! Practice is good!! Better you than me

Comment

This is my first pellet. Can anyone recommend pellet brands? Or is trial and error sort of thing?

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use BBQ Delight. Love them. They are what Yoder recommends.

Originally posted by Noverini View Post
                This is my first pellet. Can anyone recommend pellet brands? Or is trial and error sort of thing?
                My two favorites to date are Lumberjack and Cookin’ Pellets. Quality pellets are important and will make a difference in cooking performance and final product. My last two rounds of pellet purchases I have been fortunate to be able to get in on a Lumberjack group buy. Saved quite a bit of $ doing it this way

Comment

I use BBQers Delight. Mostly 50%/50% pecan and cherry. But also hickory or mesquite once in a while. Used Apple on some hot smoked salmon and it was great. Try different one and see what you like.

Comment

I’ve been using B&B/BBQers Delight (same company) from day one. Good variety, excellent results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here