Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test pellet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test pellet

any way to tell if pellet is good or bad.

In regards to?

Comment

Give it a gun, if it shoots another pellet, bad pellet.

They get wet??

Comment

Found my 20# bag of BBQ-delight Hickory, stored other. Could not achieve 400F & temp drifted down. Suspect moisture (humid, humidity) got pellets. Causing not obtainable temp, with that fuel.

Might need to re eval pellet storage!

@Jerod having lunch with buddy tomorrow former Postmaster Atlanta TX

Comment

Did you notice any smoke coming from the pellet hopper? If so, burn back into the auger tube could be the culprit.

Comment

I live in Houston where the humidity is higher than in Georgetown. I store my pellets in my garage in plastic bins or in the bags they come in and have had zero problems with moisture. My pellet hopper holds about 35# of pellets and is at least half full all the time. It goes for weeks that way again with zero moisture problems. In fact I just cleaned a whole bunch of fine dust out of the bin yesterday.

Not sure what you're encountering but if the pellets get wet they start to blow up like little sponges. If they are hard and dusty then you have another issue. BBQ Delight are some of the best pellets on the market, I doubt that's your problem.

Comment

A simple thing to check, since the others already named some of the normal culprits... assuming the rest of your grill is well cleaned, you may need to still clean your thermocouple. Seems to be a regularly overlooked item on a lot of brands when it comes to routine maintenance. Follow your manufacturers recommendations for cleaning, for mine I just use a pot scrubber (steel wool thing) and water.

Comment

My pellet storage now has a cover, two flavors perhaps in, for longest time & without fabric cover. Seemed to have adsorbed humidity, & not as firm or as crisp as newer pellets. The grill was going to 400, first burn off mfg oil etc. Mfg instructed 400F for 45min. 390 highest, then steady 5F drop, every minute or so.

Mfg, suspected moist pellets & retry with know good pellets.

Hickory which had been in my storage longest,was used & could not reach or hold temp.

I'll remove hickory & other very old pellet.

The top lid of storage has a rubber gasket, I plugged one small hole, where the lid attaches by chain to body. You could put the chain or right or left side, prevents lid from going all the way back.

I' placed an old humidity meter, in with the pellets.

I've ordered coming soon. Desiccants, look like sardine cans, food safe, changes from orange, to green when saturated, & can be renewed 100's of times, place in oven or microwave, turns back to orange. Calculated cubic feet storage area, sized.

I will also place plastic barrier on top of pellets.

Troutman your pellets stored are airtight containers, hence humidity cannot foul them. Your hopper not airtight, probably have not been exposed, for the length, of time my (suspect) hickory were exposed to humidity.

This may be a losing battle & a 4 sale sign on storage device.

Attached Files

Comment

The last time you vacuumed your ashes did you put it back together (zero it in) like you had it before. Did you check your temps in more than one place?
                  I just fold the top of the bag over without any clip and have left it on the covered patio with no problems.
                  Last edited by THE Humble Texan; April 23, 2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Update: Outside humidity 91%, lid closed above pic humidity 65% not quite airtight.

THE Humble Texan - Does not apply very first usage, it had not previously been fired up. The "PID" controller could not reach set point temp, & fell 5 degrees per min. This was during 45min @400F, so as to burn off oil from mfg's build.

I believe length of exposure, is the problem. See pic above Hickory (the full bin), was not used, & stayed like that, for approx 2yrs, exposed to whatever humidity, was present. The other pellets were used more frequently, thus they had less exposure to humidity than hickory. For a long period time, I did not have a canvas cover. The canvas cover may act as a barrier to OSA (outside air) getting to pellets. Also see pic "CHAIN" looking to the right you can see where that chain could attach on the 'right side', approx 3/8" hole visible. Now covered with gorilla tape both sides.

If my theory & grill mfg are correct, fresh pellets 400F should be attainable & PID should maintain. If not back to the drawing board

MBMorgan No smoke from hopper

ItsAllGoneToTheDogs Good point, it was brand new never been fired before. I will look & find, & keep it clean

Jerod Broussard Perhaps somewhat from humidity & length of time exposed to humidity

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      2 years. That might be a problem. My Grid Iron always has pellets in the hopper with the patio flooding and 100% humidity numerous times between cooks with no problems. But not 2 years.

• Bumby
                      Bumby commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My experiences are similar to Jerod's -- I've never had a problem with pellets in my hopper despite at times serious humidity. I probably refill the hopper every 3-4 months (more frequently in summer).

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I forgot you hadn't fired the new one up. Hope you get it all sorted out and back to smoking great food

Tregear has this snap test, (breaking a pellet) listen for the snap.

This seems to be unique to them. They say no snap it's crap

https://www.traegergrills.com/smoken...-store-pellets.
                    Last edited by Ricorocks; May 3, 2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here