Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Slam vs Yoder grilling and searing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Slam vs Yoder grilling and searing

Hi all long time member, mostly a lurker. Finally my gas grill is gasping for it last breath, it’s now time to move up to a pellet smoker. I’ve been searching, reading, comparing, stewing, wonder which one to get for months. I think I’ve narrowed it between the Blazing Grand Slam and the Yoder 480.

For those of you with these do they do a good job of grilling? Like chicken breast, pork chops, burgers etc. I think both will sear steaks well. So is one better than the other for grilling or searing, or even long low and slow cooks.

Thanks

Everyday

How many people are you feeding on the regular? If I remember right from a few months ago whilst researching, the Yoder was one of the best grilling machines in the pellet world but due to the location of the burn pot your effective space is limited. Probably fine for 2-4 people steak wise, maybe more for burgers etc... I don't recall any specific reviews on the Blazin' units when it came to grilling, but it's setup similar to the majority of pellet grills so you have a larger area that probably requires grill grates or their own brand sear grates and does an ok job over a wider area (just assuming here).
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; April 11, 2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I'm sitting this one out ......

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        He said good, not great lol. Both those pellet cookers have good reviews and followings I was strongly considering both at one point before I finally made my decision and bought something else.

Everyday I think you have things flipped around somewhat. You ask how they do for grilling, and "even on long low and slow cooks". Pellet smokers are just that - smokers primarily, and they excel at smoking at 225 to 325 cooking temperatures. They do not easily reach searing temperatures, which can be 700-900 degrees on a good gas grill, and my Weber kettle hits 1100 or more for searing according to my IR thermometer. To sear and cook things like steaks, burgers and chops people usually end up adding Grillgrates to "amplify" the heat by providing a better metal searing surface, often just over the burn pot of the pellet smoker.

If I wanted a pellet smoker, BOTH of the models you mention are truly great smokers. And they will do a good job of medium temperature cooking, but are pretty much indirect cookers - the direct flame is limited to a 3" diameter burn pot down in the bottom of the grill, which is a lot different than you are used to with your now defunct gasser.

Comment

I wouldn't get a pellet grill for grilling.

Comment

You could get either one of those and a Weber Jumbo Joe for the searing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I sear over a gas burner with an extra grate for one steak, smokey joe for two steaks.

Thanks for your replies. I apologize for not conveying my question properly. I know these are mostly smokers and not the best option for weekday fast hot cooks. I am hoping that it will suffice for my weekday quick cook until such time that I can replace my gasser. I’ve been many years with sub par smoked meat from my gasser. I’m prepared for sub par grilling in exchange for much better smoked meats. I was just wondering if one of these smokers was better at grilling or quick cooks than the other. This was based on reading and utubes where people have used it for quick hot cooks.

So Jerod and jfmorris and others should I go to a cheaper smoker and buy a cheaper gasser or do you think one of these smokers would suffice as a griller until such time as I can buy a gasser. Maybe a year or two. Charcoal is not an option for me

i cook for two mostly and occasionally 4 people.

thanks again and sorry for any confusion

Comment

• bten
            bten commented
            Editing a comment
            Check out the videos from All Things BBQ. Chef Tom occasionally grills and sears on the YS-640, Also, consider getting the large 640 over the 480. The space is worth the increased cost.

• Everyday
            Everyday commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks bten I’ll check him out

I can’t comment on the Blazin from experience, however, I’ve heard only good things. I can, however, discuss the Yoder a bit. I’ve a YS-640 and think that in addition to smoking beautifully it sears very well, especially with the grill grates in place. Three to four steaks are optimal for searing, but, it can do up to 6. The searing is legitimate.

Comment

• Everyday
            Everyday commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweaty Paul, one concern on the yoder I have is when searing it looks like grease drips back into the fire pot. Is this the case, or does it just look like that?

• Sweaty Paul
            Sweaty Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            It might a bit, however, you have it turned up so the grease burns off. I haven’t noticed any accumulation. In the interest of full disclosure I use Grill Grates too. I thought it was a gimmick and after I bout the Yoder always had charcoal (I have 3 Weber kettles) or my Saber gasser screaming hot for the reverse sear. For 2-4 steaks I don’t need to have them on other than convenience (my Yoder lives in the detached garage). Good luck on your search.

My two cents as a Grand Slam owner; it won't be a good substitute for a gasser... That being said, it has been an awesome smoker for me. I held out for a long time before being able to buy "up" on the quality scale (as well as having to wait until I had a covered place to place a pellet smoker.)

After getting the pellet smoker, I use my Genesis gasser much, much less than I did before. But it does get used still. My recommendation is evaluate what you're really going to target cooking, and prioritize that way. Also, waiting and saving for a good set up is worth it.

My Genesis was my first "not-the cheapest available" gas grill. It was over 2x the cost of what I was paying for gas grills before that, but those would only last three or four seasons and then end up so rusted/worn out that I'd replace them instead of repair them. The Genesis has not only been much more reliable than those cheaper grills, but also has been rock solid with no signs of significant wear out some 7 years into owning it. My takeaway is that at least in outdoor cooking equipment, the old adage of you get what you pay for has been extremely true.

Good luck in your quest! I hope you enjoy and get great use out of whatever you choose.

Comment

• Everyday
            Everyday commented
            Editing a comment
            My priorities are better chuckles, pulled pork, and brisket which I’ve never tried on my gasser.
            I agree with you on quality. That’s why a gasser is several years away if I get the pellet grill

• AmosMoses01
            AmosMoses01 commented
            Editing a comment
            Everyday cool, the Grand Slam definitely has done great by me for what you're after. One thing that I recommend is to go with the insulated lid, even though I'm in Central Texas I did so, and found pellet consumption is barely impacted by the temperature outside for me.

Everyday I know several friends locally with the Yoder YS-640. The YS-480 is just the same thing but smaller, and they both seem to grill on the Yoder a good bit, even though they both have other grills for grilling versus smoking. If you get the custom cut Grill grates for it that will help a lot for searing and doing decent every day grilling until you can get a replacement gas grill down the road. If it were me, and if you have space, I would think about the YS-640 if your budget and space allows, versus the 480. No one ever wishes they had a smaller smoker! I think I could live with a bigger smoker and a smaller 2 burner gas grill for quick cooks.

I would take my time on a gas grill and look for clearances this coming fall and winter. I've got a 2002 Weber Genesis 2 burner that is still going strong, and it was big enough most of the time, but I just retired it for a Weber Genesis 4 burner I bought on clearance for $399 this January (now back to its normal $999 price at Home Depot!). I'm keeping the old 2 burner under a cover until my youngest daughter gets married, then sending it off to her house.

Comment

In my opinion, there are a couple of strong contenders that I believe can meet your need. Really depends on how much $ you are willing to part with. I do believe that you’ll get what you pay for when it comes to pellet grills. Personally, I am a huge fan of MAK grills and do believe that they are probably the best pellet "grill" on the market because of how their Funnel Flame Zone funnels, directs and disperses the heat. Side to side and front to back you have intense grilling heat which makes it very similar to grilling on a gas grill vs most other "direct flame" pellet grills that only offer a small intense searing area. That said, the Yoder seems to be pretty strong in the grilling dept... just not a full grate cooking experience if that’s important. Another less known option is the Kuma Platinum pellet grills. I have looked into those extensively and would personally pick one of those over the Yoder or Blaz’n for a variety of reasons. Just my 2 cents

At the end of the day, it’s all about your wants, needs and budget. Only you can truly determine what’s gonna work best for you.

Comment

The burn rate of pellets at high temp, and the cost of quality pellets would make me hesitant to use it for every day high temp searing. A cast iron pan or grillgrates will improve your searing capability. Additionally, if you are set on this plan, I would recommend mesquite pellets for the searing, or char-hickory. They burn a bit hotter than normal oak-hick-fruitwood, so should give you a better sear.

Comment

Wow lots of good advice here. So let me switch gears a little. If I were to get a Silverback or OG I then might be able to get a good gasser. Any thoughts on the OG vs Silverback, for long smokes a general grilling.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s a bit more in my wheelhouse. The OG seems to put on a bit better smoke, but is smaller capacity wise. They are both high quality and have double wall for cold weather efficiency.

I never sear on my pellet grill (YS480), but I know it'll get hot... I fried some of my temp probes doing a "heat check" when it got up around 600ºF or better... they cut out around 580ºF. Just sayin'.

Comment

• Everyday
                  Everyday commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ouch. Makes an IR look like a good investment. Thanks for that information. 600 is about as high as my gasser will go.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Everyday - That’s not a very good gas grill if it only gets up to 600...

Originally posted by Everyday View Post
                Wow lots of good advice here. So let me switch gears a little. If I were to get a Silverback or OG I then might be able to get a good gasser. Any thoughts on the OG vs Silverback, for long smokes a general grilling.
                A pellet grill/gasser makes for a fine tag team!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here