Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RecTec or Yoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RecTec or Yoder

I’m going to buy a new pellet grill to replace an old Traeger, and have narrowed it down to RecTec or Yoder. I’d appreciate any input from you folks. Thanks

All I can say is I like my Rec Tec - most everything I've cooked on it came out great. You can see most of what i've cooked here on the Pit; just search through my stuff if you're interested. I've owned it for a year now. The controller works great, I like the dual meat probes, and I like the wifi and its app. I don't have any experience with Yoder.

Comment

From the Yoder side—love my YS640. Solid construction, stable temps, good smoke flavor. I just trust it and it produces great food. I have no experience with Rec Tec, but seriously considered getting one when I was shopping. The Yoder doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that some folks want, but I’ll trade all that for it’s solidity and performance. Of course you have to learn the strengths and weaknesses of any cooker you will get. They all have ‘em.

Comment

I really like my Yoder. Interesting thing I see on CL, very few used Yoder's and very few used Rec Tec grills for sale. I think that says a lot right there. The Rec Tec warranty at 6 years on everything is very good. Yoder has 1 year on the igniter, 3 years on the electonics, and 10 years on the body. Both are very responsive to owners.

You will find that owners of both grills swear by them. In every comment that I have seen, I have not seen anyone who has had both. A true comparison may be hard to find.

Comment

Yoder.

Comment

if that were my only 2 options then...

i will vote yoder.

Comment

• swartzster
              swartzster commented
              Editing a comment
              If there were other options?

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              swartzster Blaz’n Grill Works would probably be my choice. I like their double wall construction over Yoder’s thick gauge in addition to some other cool features. Full disclosure I just purchased a Grilla and love it! I used to own a Traeger.
              Last edited by Nate; April 7, 2019, 03:58 AM.

I got bupkis, experience-wise, with pellet cookers, but both are highly regarded, an were I to buy me a dang ol pellet cooker, these two would be right at th very top of my list, accompanied by Grilla...

Jus sayin...

Comment

Go Yoder IMHO. That being said when I had my options down to two, I chose another brand not mentioned and will never look back. The issue we had with the Yoder, for US it was just to heavy. Wife struggled with lifting the lid and I was concerned about the amount of time for the thing to heat up as the mass is there and common sense dictates it would use a little more fuel to get it there. Another minor note was the finish tends to rust and repainting is something you would need to do if you maintain it properly. I know that sounds like I'm bad mouthing it but thats not the point. Just trying to share what we determined where on the minus side for us. Fact is I darn near overlooked our concerns and got the Yoder anyways but the one we selected was manufactured close to where we lived and after taking a factory tour and talking with the owner it was an easy decision. I'm sure the Rec Tec is a fine unit also but having not seen one up close like we did the Yoder, or knowing anyone that owns one I can't share a fair comment one way or the other. Having taken the time and having the opportunity to see each of our two options in person was the difference in our decision process.

Comment

I have no experience with Yoder, but did have a RT680. I had some problems with the RecTec. Some were me and the brand pellets that I used. I had issues with the powder coating peeling and found that was widespread with RecTec coatings. Not sure if they addressed that or not. They are a young company with a lot of early growth which seems to have its advantages and disadvantages for some. Based upon everything I read about Yoder is that they are top of the heap and quality is fantastic. I do not think that RecTec is there yet, however, if you are looking for a pellet smoker, either will do. It just comes right down to what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  the RT700 supposedly is better with the coating and has more SS parts I believe. My final top 3 before purchasing my current grill had the Yoder, MAK, and RT700. The only reason I didn't go Yoder is because I'm lazy and it does require regular love and annual maintenance above what I was willing to do. I didn't go with the RT because it's essentially an oven with very tight control and many users said it required supplemental smoke via tubes/trays.

• RAGBBQ
                  RAGBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After two years of carefree use, my Rec Tec RT 680 has developed rust and temperature swing issues.

I can only echo what others has said about the Yoder. Considered the RecTec and Yoder when looking. I have the YS640 and don't miss the WIFI. Never having had it, I depend of the Yoder’s consistency and my temp probes. I like the heavy construction and feel it adds to the cooks and durability. I have only been at smoking for about a year so others have much more experience than I and I am very pleased with my decision. No problems yet with rust, and it stays outside covered (of course, I’m in Calif. so….) Good luck and you’ll be happy either way.

Comment

I’m not a partisan in any fashion but I do know the Yoder, own one, and are satisfied.

Comment

My neighbor has the RT700. Its really nice. I have seen it in action, it emits a constant steady stream of smoke. I’m skeptical that a smoke tube would do anything at all other than waste more pellets. If I had one, I would be more inclined to add a cold smoke generator, because then I could burn wood chunks or chips.

But I would lean towards Yoder. $50 more, and also 100 square inches more space. 277 pounds, so it’s beefy in construction. 20 pound hopper capacity is adequate, and if pellet consumption is high because it’s cold you can always refill it.

That’s my opinion anyway. Both are really good. Having seen the RT-700 up close I really like it. If I were to be given one I would be very happy. I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice, but the Yoder is slightly larger for pretty much the same price. Less stainless steel though. But I don’t think that is a big deal.

Comment

I researched fairly heavily and landed on the Rec Tec RT-700. My recent review post is here:

As posted earlier in the week, ordered a new Rec Tec RT-700 "Bull". Finally got her assembled. Took about 2 hours. FIRST IMPRESSION: Quality is

Comment

that's a nice looking grill

Comment

Looked at both and went with Yoder. Have no regrets and love it. Pellet consumption isn’t as high as I’ve seen discussed here in The Pit. Averages about what my old GMG did and what my buddy’s Timberline 1300 does - 1 to 1.5 lbs/hr. That rate went up in the winter when it was cold. I then received as a Christmas gift the insulating Yoder jacket and pellet consumption went back down to 1 - 1.5 lbs/hr like before.

Had a remote control on the GMG and while I liked it I don’t miss it with the Yoder. Temps are so controlled it works and makes a cook predictable. Think it has a nice smoke profile too.

Think no no matter which way you go you will be happy.

Good of luck and enjoy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here