Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First EVER beef ribs cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First EVER beef ribs cook

I’ve purchased a beef ‘center cut back rib’ and intend to do a pellet cook on it later this week. It will be a low & slow cook to be sure. I already have a good recipe from AmazingRibs and will be using it on this cook. I have a question about what they are called on the cryovac package. What the Heck is ‘Center Cut’ mean? Also, this cook will be a nekked cook because that’s what’s recommended for beef ribs. Any comments before I start? ❓

It's probably referring to the middle of the 7 ribs that make up the rib section of the cow. I've cooked them both low and slow as well as fast and hot. No real appreciable difference to me. They cook up pretty fast compared to the meaty plate ribs. I like mine salt brined overnight with lots of pepper added just prior to the cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beef ribs 07.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	658966

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      I've read that there are actually 13 ribs on each side of a cow, so what does your reference to 7 ribs mean? I'm guessing maybe the middle 7 ribs?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      There are 7 in the rib section, 5 in the chuck and 1 in the loin. The 7 are from the portion of the cow that contains the prime rib roast, these ribs are cut from the subprimal and sold separately and have the best meat.

Take a look at the links for 123A, 124, and 130 ribs on this page. Also, the overall comparison link. Gives a pretty good description of the various types.

Although most meat cuts could be prepared as a barbecue product, there are a number of meat products commonly considered for barbecue techniques.

"Center cut" probably refers to the location of the cut along the length of the rib bone rather than the rib count.
    Last edited by johnec00; April 2, 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That TAMU source is a good one. I have that saved as well. They have a great meat processing program up there.

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you johnec00, that was most helpful. Looking at my rib pack, there are two, 7-bone strips which would make them back ribs. One strip is 2 inches long the other not quite 3 inches. Perhaps the 'center cut' is referring to the original rack being cut down the center across the bones. Just a guess. Now, i'm thinking of doing one strip low & slow on the pellet grill and one very slow (48 hrs) in SV. Have the grilled one tomorrow and the SV'd one on Thursday.

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      dubob Looks like a great plan. One suggestion for your consideration: After completing the SV rack, put it on a grill for a short period of time to add some sear. Make it a short period though, the meat is thin and can be easily turned to charcoal. If it was me I'd brush some garlic butter on it before the sear, but that's just me.

For ease of reference the chuck is cut between the 5th and 6th rib. After you have what Troutman referenced

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it; thanks. 👍

Pellet grill cook today. Salted & peppered the rack last night and put in the fridge overnight.

Put it on the grill this AM at about 11 AM. Set the temp to high smoke (220F). Checked on them several times and it hit 200F IT at about 2 PM. Surprised it happened that quick. I guess it was because these were back ribs (meat between the bones instead of short ribs with the meat on top the bones. The thickness of my rack was only about 1 inch.

But I pulled a rookie blunder; I forgot to apply any rub before putting them on the grill. I guess I can always use some sauce to liven them up a tad come dinner time.

Pulled them, wrapped them in foil and a blanket, and put them in a cooler. Here they are hot off the grill.

They'll rest for a couple hours before its time to eat.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright, came out tasty looking. A little restaurant trick, if you season them after you cooked them and stick them into a broiler you get a little bit of benefit, can even add some sauce to achieve a glaze.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      dubob I'm really digging the font you're using...I can actually read it without squinting. Great looking ribs too!

Yum! Hope my first beef rib cook turns out as nice as yours!

Comment

I just did a dozen of these, but I did them in the Instant Pot. There’s something about that red wine gravy that just knocks me over, every time.

Mrs Mosca says that beef short ribs in the Instant Pot is the best meal I’ve ever made. I’m thinking that it is right up there, for sure.

Comment

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny you should mention Instant Pot. Daughter got us one for Christmas in 2017 and we used it once in 2018. I'm now discovering its utility and just ordered 2 Instant Pot cookbooks from Amazon (where else?) yesterday. It does a fantastic job steaming fresh vegetables and we even tried it on some chicken & a pot roast so far this year with excellent results. Life is good and so is the food. 😂

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        A few days ago my wife did some in the electric pressure cooker, with an "Asian" spicing (5 spice powder, etc). Awesome gravy!

Okay, the results are in; the ribs were okay. Not great, but okay. I think being back ribs instead of short ribs was a factor in how they turned out. The flavor was very good, but the texture was slightly dry and not all that tender. I think back ribs might be better done SV or Instant Pot. I'll look for some really thick short ribs for my next beef rib cook on the CC. We'll be eating the SV back ribs tonight after a 48 hour bath at 146F. Film at 11. 😃

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Alarm clock is set for 11:02 to check out the next cook.

After years of using a modified BBBR I've gone to using only salt and pepper on beef—brisket, tri-tip, ribs. And I don't even dry brine anymore...just Dalmatian rub (50/50 kosher salt and coarse pepper) right before it hits the cooker.

Comment

The 48 hour at 146F SV beef back ribs were awesome. Tender, perfect color & texture, moist, and almost fell off the bones. Any beef back ribs done at my house in the future will be done SV. Jury is still out on how to do beef short ribs, but when I get them, they will be done on the CC to start. It won't be done in the next week or two. I already have a rack of baby backs and a rack of St Louis ribs to be done first. I I have to try a beer can chicken before too long. Life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by dubob View Post
          The 48 hour at 146F SV beef back ribs were awesome. Tender, perfect color & texture, moist, and almost fell off the bones. Any beef back ribs done at my house in the future will be done SV. Jury is still out on how to do beef short ribs, but when I get them, they will be done on the CC to start. It won't be done in the next week or two. I already have a rack of baby backs and a rack of St Louis ribs to be done first. I I have to try a beer can chicken before too long. Life is good.
          Awesome!! Although you might want to reconsider beer can chicken:

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            "https://amazingribs.com/beer-can-chicken" Now THAT was funny. 🤣 Maybe I won't do a "beer-can- chicken" after all.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I do use the beer can chicken rack just without the can. dubob

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here