Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Louisiana Grills Vertical Pellet Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louisiana Grills Vertical Pellet Smoker

Has anyone had any experience with the Louisiana Grills Vertical Pellet Smoker, or any vertical pellet smokers. The Louisiana Grill is on sale at local Costco for $500. I've Google searched it, and this model appears to be new since I can't find too many reviews. Thanks.
    Attached Files

@DaveS121 Look's just like the one I have from pit boss & if it was not so big (5 cubic ft.) it would be better. Temp control prob is near the bottom so controlling temp when all racks are in use is tricky.

Comment

• DaveS121
      DaveS121 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Bet it cooks great hanging ribs!

Comment

It is a cool looking rig.

Comment

Can the probe location be moved?

The size is what attracts me. I think a full size hotel pan will fit in it.

It is also supposed to be fully insulated which is a big plus for a long smoke. Like all pellet smokers I'm assuming the smoke would have to be supplemented. Over the years I've been through several MES and what they are pushing now is junk. The first one was great but then they put in smaller elements, smaller smoke chambers and crappy electronics. I'm tempted to refurbish my original case with off the shelf stuff and make my own.

Comment

Here is a vertical pellet smoker from a more respected name (Camp Chef):

The XXL WIFI Pellet Smoker by Camp Chef is all you need in a vertical smoker for your back patio.

That one has room for up to 8 14" x 21.5" racks. The racks themselves may be a little smaller than on the Costco unit, but sometimes it pays to go with a company that you can deal direct with, versus someone making stuff to be sold only through a box box store like Costco.

Comment

hey @DaveS121 - my cousin's looking at this one too - did you pull the trigger and if so, do you like it?

jfmorris - the advantage of Costco is you can return it without question and for us at least, it's local.
            Last edited by rickgregory; June 6, 2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I have a Pitboss CH7, and yes the temp control is not good. But adding a third party PID control work wonders. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.JPG
Views:	730
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	691853

Comment

I have the Pitboss 4 series from Lowe’s (similar but smaller size). I love it. Temps do swing without a PID mod but it cooks good food which is what matters. Long smoke pulled pork this weekend. I’ve done tri-tip on it and chicken. Both came out nice.

Does it need a PID? Probably. But it is a well built unit and while not a Camp Chef, Pitboss customer service is good. My first unit was damaged from Lowe’s and they offered to fix it by sending me a new unit or take it back to Lowe’s. I took it back since that was faster and got a new one.

Easy to to set up and use. I find it my go to smoker now instead of my gasser.

YMMV but that is my experience.

Comment

Uhm, trust the swing?

Comment

I got the Pitboss 5 series from WallyWorld for $396 it has temp swings but the temp probe I put on the grate stays fairly steady within reasonable limits, as for the temp swings, the food tastes great so its a non issue for me

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here