Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to pellet grill/smoker cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to pellet grill/smoker cooking

After looking at websites on several brand names of grills, I decided that the Camp Chef Woodwind SG w/Sear Box would work best for me. I took delivery direct from CC on 2/20/2019. I also registered on 3 new smoking meats forums about the same time (and then this site today makes 4) to look for tips & tricks.

I've already done some ribs (BBs), brisket, pastrami, chicken breast, smoked fish, pheasant jerky, pork & beef steaks, burgers, and dogs. Settled on Lumber Jack Comp Blend (MHC) which is available locally for $13/bag. And my neighbor told me a couple days ago he gets his LJ pellets for $10/bag, but he hasn't given me the contact info yet.

I'll be doing a pork loin roast this week and from registrations on these new sites, I discovered sous vide cooking which I had never heard about before. Already done filet mignons and a chuck eye steak using my new Anova Nova PC and the sear box on my CC. They were both done 100% perfect to exactly Medium Rare. I'll be starting the 24 sous vide cook on a pork steak about 5 PM today for dinner tomorrow.

I hope to share some smoking fish and waterfowl jerky successes I've had in the past using my Bradley 4-rack smoker. I'll le trying to duplicate them in the new pellet grill/smoker. Hopefully, some of you can shorten that learning curve for me.

I look forward to the pictures in the "SUWYC" thread. Hopefully some one smarter than me will be along to post a link. Or if one of the mods is free they can insert here.

remember pics or didn’t happen. Love the thought of the jerky.

Comment

I own a Camp Chef Lux with a sear box. I suggest if your on Facebook, you sign up for the group Camp Chef Smoker Smokers. It has lots of great product info and is really well run. I buy my Lumber Jack Pellets thru a group buy on that group. I paid about $8.20 per 20 lbs based on buying a 520 pound order.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't 'do' facebook or any other social media except internet forums. Tried 'em and didn't like them at all. 😒

You mean there are "other" forums ??

Comment

Well I hope you're enjoying yours. About 7 weeks ago, I bought a CC smoke pro dlx as my first venture into smoking food being that I love BBQ and could never have a smoker being that I've lived in apartments most of my life, but finally bought myself a house for my 51st birthday back in Nov. Anyway, I hate this thing. I've used lo smoke and hi smoke settings, smoke tube with pellets, then with wood chips and forget it, doesn't taste like real Q. I wound up ordering a OKJ Longhorn reverse flow which will be here tomorrow. If I'm missing some kinda trick with the CC, I'm all ears.
      Last edited by Johnny Big Time; March 24, 2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, ain't the same as my Bradley. But I like the milder results. When I get the pellet grill somewhat mastered, I'll look into some of the other ways to generate more smoke flavor. But for now, I'm very satisfied with my Woodwind.

• Johnny Big Time
        Johnny Big Time commented
        Editing a comment
        Very good man.

Welcome to the Pit! Glad to see you here

Comment

Congrats on the new grill! Looking forward to seeing your cooks on it. Haven't tried doing jerky yet but I'm curious to see your results/process on the pellet cooker (that way I can make some for my family!). Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg ! Congrats on your new smoker , looking forward to seeing your pics .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here