Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about a Yoder 640 Comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about a Yoder 640 Comp

I am thinking about buying a new Yoder 640 Comp. I have two questions. Can you use a water plan on the defuser plate? Can you add wood chunks for additional smoke on long cooks. I guess I would put them on the defuser plate too.

I don't have a 640, I have a 480 but I think what you ask applies to both.

1. Yoder recommends not using a water pan. There's nothing stopping you from using one anyway. You would have to take a grate out in order to put it on the diffuser. If I ever use one in my 480, I'll set it on the grate.

2. I've never tried wood chunks but I have tried mojobricks. I put one under the grate and it did start to smoke as I was warming up the grill (350). When I dialed it down to 225, it stopped smoking. I had it under the grate, over the firebox. YMMV.
    Last edited by dsohmer; March 18, 2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

First, welcome to the Pit.

Never needed a water pan in my 640, but remember that the diffuser plate has a slight angle to it to allow grease to flow. You would need to set it on a grate most likely. Also, there isn’t much room between the grates and the diffuser for a very tall pan. When I want to catch drippings, I have to use the top shelf for the food. If you wanted extra smoke you would be safer IMHO to use something designed for that purpose like an amaz-n-tube.

Comment

I will 2nd the amaz-n-tube, they work well. I say a definite no on wood chucks. As far as a water pan it is not needed or recommend. I tried it once to try and enhance my smoke ring and it messed with my temperature big time. My ribs were done in 2 and half hours. Talk about hit and fast. Cooker was set for 275 degrees.

Comment

Spritz your meat if you need some moisture for better bark.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help.

Comment

Troutman Welcome to The Pit. I don’t use a water pan with my YS-640 and it’s not recommended or needed (your food will be outstanding and plenty juicy without it). Like Troutman said spritzing the meat will enhance the bark and more smoke uptake.

If if you still want more smoke flavor the Amazn Tube is a nice adjunct.

I love my YS-640 and heartily recommend it. I would also recommend you get the grill grates and the two-piece diffuser. With that setup you can sear your steaks and do the whole reverse sear on one grill.

Good luck. If you have other questions about the YS-640 let me know.

Sweaty Paul

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here