Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traeger's New Grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traeger's New Grills

Traeger just announced their new grill series, with D2 technology (direct drive, not sure quite what that is right now). The Ironwood and Timberline are double-walled which should be a nice upgrade. It looks like a pretty nice ride, here's the link: https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/g...berline+Grills
    Last edited by CaptainMike; March 15, 2019, 03:14 PM.

Thought it was R2D2 drive??

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      I see what you did there. I'm still waiting for the red neck 4WD version.

Looking forward to the first reviews on them.

Comment

Lots of innovation into the pipeline for sure. The "set and forget" cookers are getting pretty sophisticated. Still I’m not sure how much more these cookers can do to set themselves apart, guess it’s all about selling iron. Sometimes it’s not about the package but about the product.

Thanks for the post none the less Capt Mike !!

Comment

Good to see these innovations into their grills. I'm wondering if the WiFire controller can be retrofitted to older models.

Comment

I am a former RecTec owner. I can say that if I ever get back into the pellet world again, I would seriously consider a Traeger.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
            Traeger just announced their new grill series, with D2 technology (direct drive, not sure quite what that is right now). The Ironwood and Timberline are double-walled which should be a nice upgrade. It looks like a pretty nice ride, here's the link: https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/g...berline+Grills
            Direct drives offer variable speed instead of off/on. Should result in dead on temperature control. My pellet smoker has pretty wide swings in control. I used to have a Traeger and it was really bad. I'm happy they did this !!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like another name for a true PID controller which essentially varies the speed of the auger and fans, not new technology.

I just bought one with the d2 controller. It seems to kee the heat more consistent. I held a 225 most of the time with in a few degrees. It was a windy day.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to the Pit!

• Blood-root
              Blood-root commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you

I currently have the Pellet Pro 34 series. Going through the spec sheets quickly, it seems like the main upgrades to the Ironwood 885 are the digital/WiFi controller and the double walled steel interior. While these are certainly nice features, are they really worth the additional $650 for the same amount of cooking space?

Personally, I don't need to be able to change the cooking temp from anywhere. I usually set it at whatever I need to and let it go until I'm done (and I can plan to be home when it's done so I don't need the warm setting). While the double walled steel can maintain temps better, my current model doesn't swing more than +/-15 degrees which suits me fine.

Maybe I'm not in the majority here or the target audience of the new Ironwood series but it seems like a big jump in price for the return the consumer is getting. I would like to see the review on the AR for the new model though.

Comment

Yeah, Traeger is just putting out a high end unit with the double wall thing in my opinion, and adding some hype to the new controller/auger is understandable. As to the price, we will have to wait and see how that all turns out....

Comment

Place your order yet CaptainMike? I vote "yes" go get it!
                Last edited by HawkerXP; March 19, 2019, 07:01 AM. Reason: poll

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nope, I like my old-school rolled steel Traeger just fine. I'm saving for that next Hasty Bake that comes up on craigslist (if I don't win the next drawing).

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry Capt, Mike I have the winning ticket for the next drawing.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here