Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mak 2 star vs Pitts & Spitts 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mak 2 star vs Pitts & Spitts 850

Looking to upgrade from a GM to one of these. Any suggestions on which way to go.

I've read great things about the P&S offerings, but I went with a 2 Star since there were more owners talking it up on the web and almost no negative posts. The main reasons I went with the MAK were 1. Upgradability across the product line. This was huge for me as I'd hate to be left in the cold when some new technology pops along. 2. Supposedly the best smoke profile for a pellet grill. I'd have to agree having sampled meats off of 2 other brands now, the MAK definitely rolls quality smoke. It's also pretty efficient with the pellets. I gave my a-maze-n smoke tray away this weekend, I just don't need it with the MAK. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand though.

Comment

• Sthomasson72
      Sthomasson72 commented
      Editing a comment
      When did you get yours?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Sthomasson72 I got mine last October I think it was. I've been using it on average 3x a week. My favorite things I've smoked so far were a scratch made hummus and a few batches of salsa on the main grill and the cheeses I've done in the cold smoke box. It turns out a wicked pork butt that rivals anything I've ever tasted and I'm still dialing it in for a brisket cook in the near future. Better smoke flavor than any restaurant around me.

I own a Pitts and Spitts mainly because I live about 10 miles from their shop and saw that the thing was built like a tank. All 10 ga. metal cooking chamber and a 305 rolled stainless lid (their signature). The thing has been rock solid. Mine has a Pellet Pro hopper and PID controller that doesn't roll a lot of smoke, even in the smoke setting (my biggest complaint). P&S has since upgraded to another type controller that does a much better job of producing smoke and has wifi compatibility.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pellet 02.jpg
Views:	2631
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	648539

Had I been given the choice between mine and the MAK I would definitely have gone with the MAK. Rock solid, and as is said above, has very good Owner support. I like the fact that the MAK is upgradeable but so is the P&S, at a cost. I don't think anyone is going to upgrade anything for free. But given the new P&S controller, it's a hard choice.

Either way you lean I think you'll me happy. But after almost 2 years and dozens of cooks, I'm happy. Just wish I could afford the upgrade to a new controller. Maybe when this old one breaks, if it ever does

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      What is the deal with the controller? Curious to know what they went from and to.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Pellet Pro. It’s very precise which I feel is it’s problem, it’s too efficient at burning pellets and does not produce much smoke. Don’t know their new one but produces a lot more smoke. Cost me $400 to change out

I agree with all posts here so far. I selected Mak mainly because many Mak users said that they no longer were supplementing smoke with tubes once getting thier Mak. And because Mak retrofits new features back down thier line to previous models. Also that they are built to last. And if you act soon enough you can get one at a discount as they are clearing thier 2018 inventory. I just got mine from Mak but you may get a few extras from Big Poppa for the same price. I already have my eye on a Mak 2 Star with the vertical smoker on the warming drawer.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I want that smoke box, but the wife said no way (I'll get one eventually though). The purchases she did OK were the WiFi once they have that working better and a front door for the stand (because she said it makes it look pretty).

I would go with the MAK. When I make the plunge into he pellet world this is the unit I am going to get.

I have also heard the smoke profile on the MAK is the best you can find, without adding supplemental smoke tubes.

And I know MH has one and if they are good enough for him, they are good enough for me.

Comment

FWIW, I love my MAK.

Comment

I had a backyard full of grills and smokers a few years ago. Had a buddy selling his first gen MAK 1 Star. Thought what the heck and bought it... thinking it would be fun to give it a whirl. Needless to say, I fell in love with it and ended up selling every cooker I owned a year later including the MAK (due to a move). After the move was over I replaced the numerous cookers I had sold with 1 new cooker... a 2017 MAK 2 Star. I now have a kettle for those days I get the charcoal itch... but I love my 2 Star!!!

Comment

I have owned a 2 star for 6 years and it is great. Their service is great although Bruce was my go to and he retired. Last year I added a 3 star with a cart and it is overpriced for its capacity. I regret not spending more and getting a Fast Eddie’s Rotisserie. I’m considering a significant mod to greatly increase its capacity and add rotisserie.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here