Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mak 1 Star General - The Maiden Voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mak 1 Star General - The Maiden Voyage

I got to try out my new Mak 1 star yesterday and all I can say is WOW! I cooked pork tenderloin, skinless bone in chicken breasts, and country style pork. I got the juiciest, most tender meats I ever cooked with an awesome smoky flavor! I am still struggling with the country style pork though. It was a little tough, even though I braised them to about 180 after smoking them to 150ish degrees F. The tenderloin was cooked to 125, wrapped in foil and braised to 135 and was the star of the show. Dry brined for three hours. I used Meatheads Memphis Dust rub and ... tasty, juicy, smoky, and gone in 60 seconds! The chicken was a very close second. Dry brined, used a modified Huskee's rub I use for chicken. Smoked to 150, wrapped in foil and braised to 160 ... tasty, juicy, smoky, and gone in 60 seconds!

The temperatures I get with the "Smoke" setting on my Mak is 177 - 190. And the temperature is within 13 degrees throughout the entire cook chamber, top to bottom, left to right. I used this setting throughout the cook. I did get one flame out at the very beginning of the cook while I was putting on the meats and inserting the probes. Not sure why or what caused that, maybe the lid was open too long ... But after I got the warning and acknowledged it on the panel, the grill powered down. I powered it back up, set smoke, and the rest of the cook went off without a hitch. I used CandySueQ blend of BBQrs Delight pellets, that being 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan, which I can get at a local BBQ store here for $17 per 20lbs. And NO SMOKE BOX or TUBE! I got all the smoke flavor I could want. And I find that is a little more than the average eater.

​

​

Just a little smoke ring ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_144133.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	648165

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_210718.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	648166

Congrats on finding a new Star.

Comment

Nice maiden voyage!

Comment

Looks delicious.

Comment

lostclusters , You and The General are the Stars of The Day! Wonderful cook!

Comment

Congrats on your 1st cook with the 1 Star! MAK makes some of the best pellet smokers on the market.... take care of it & it will take care of you!

Comment

Great cook!

Comment

From one MAK owner to another... congrats on your new cooker AND what a fantastic start to many many years of great meals

Regarding your flameout, yes, you probably had the kid opened to long. If the internal temp of the cooking chamber drops to < 160° it will trigger a relight cycle. I have had a couple of flameouts in my MAK (user error). Just a word of caution, if you ever experience that again, remove the drip pan and check the fire pot. More often than not, you’ll have a lot of unburied pellets in there. You want to remove those before restarting. If not, you may have a very big and unpleasant surprise when they do ignite.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                  CandySueQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good advice!

If this is your first pellet grill, you are just beginning the first of many great cook,ENJOY

Comment

That’s one of the best pile of cooked, juicy meat I may have seen. 👍 👍 👍 🕶

Comment

lostclusters I like to take my country style to 195, coat with cold BBQ sauce, take back up to 195 or so, sometimes a hair over 200.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That makes a lot of sense, since they are often cut from the shoulder, treat them just like a butt.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here