Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-Maze-N Tube smoked cheese questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-Maze-N Tube smoked cheese questions...

Howdy, yall...Happy Friday!

I have smoked cheese on various of my cookers, with wood chunks, mebbe a bit of charcoal, many times, an always waited it out a week, or even 2-3 weeks, or so post smoke, to let th smoke flavour mellow out some. SOP, right? Right.

I am in need of yall's experience with doin it with th pellet tube smoker listed in my subject... I have some questions, an my time-frame is short, ie.: Sunday suppertime...

Doable, or not? Why?/Why Not? Either way, would be educational, an helpful...

Reckon where'll I'll start is:

1> Since th lil tube/pellet combo don't seem like they'd produce th smoke density that I have previously used, in a stickburner, or charcoal cooker with wood chunks added, wouldn't this (at least theoretically) summat shorten th mellowin time? Or, am I way offa base here?

I do fully realize that flavour profiles are entirely subjective, an I'd trade a lighter smoke profile fer ready Sunday 1600-ish, without bein harsh/acrid...

Who here has cold smoked some cheese in this fashion?

I would certainly appreciate, an benefit from yer experiences, tips, tricks, techniques, what have yall...

I gotta few other questions that are less immediate, but related to this, but I'll git this posted, an see what all yall have done, how it worked, etc.

I'm hopin to git outside this afternoon, an git in a couple, or more hrs of cold smoke on these cheese blocks, before our winter storm rolls in, long bout sundown~ish.

Many thanks, in advance!

Here's what I have, plus a veritable plethora of pellet varieties...

Most likely gonna utilize a kettle, or other smallish cooker, to maximize smoke ppm concentration vs cooker volume.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181207_200906.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	624648

Hello Mr. Bones. I have smoked cheese several times using the Amaze N Tube. However, I've always wrapped afterwards and given the smoked cheese 2-3 weeks to mellow. Without giving it too much thought I'm wondering that if you need it for Sunday at Suppertime maybe give it a light smoke and see what happens. I usually smoke it for 2 hours so maybe try 1 or 1 1/2 hours to see if that is mellow enough to eat sooner? It's snowing like crazy here in southern MN or I'd drive down on Sunday to taste your finished product! Good luck with your challenge!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Brother Skip; this follows my thoughts re: th circumstance of wantin it done way too soon...

Also leanin t'wards usin some of th mellower wood pellets I have on hand, vs heavier...

An enjoyable challenge, to be sure!

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Skip.

Hey Bones ... I'm not a cheese smoker (yet) so consider this more of a question than a suggestion: In addition to a short/light smoke with milder wood, would it make sense to slice the cheese into smaller pieces to increase surface area and therefore smoke uptake?

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm very sorry to hear about your MIL, Bones ...

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, Mr. Bones, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Kathryn

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      So sorry for your loss Bonesy. My thoughts are with you and your family. Hang in there.

Here's the Mac Daddy by Smoke Daddy, forget the Tube .....

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Well done!

Hey Mr. Bones, I just did this for the first time over the holidays. Tube in my Traeger 075 rolling smoke for approximately 2.5 hours. This was my first time smoking cheese so I didn't know what exactly to expect. I let it rest a week and it still had a really smoky flavor. Not overly smoked in my opinion but other guests did not like it. Next time I'll try a little less time and see the results. You could always go with a short smoke time and see how it turns out. Relatively inexpensive test cook compared to a hunk of meat! Good luck!

Comment

What It Is, So Far:

I have 6 lbs. (4 ea. 24 oz. blocks) of cheese to smoke; 2 ea. Sharp Cheddar, an Pepper Jack.

2 will be used Sunday, th remainder ziplocked an put into a state of mellowin, meanin I'll probly let th latter 2 go longer in th smoke, mebbe even different pellets, since it'll have time to balance out...

Their average dimensions are ~7.125" x 3.5" x 1.5"
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20190118_120700.jpg Views:	1 Size:	900.1 KB ID:	624718
      My plan is to cut em down into 1.5" x 1.5" x 3.5" logs, ie.: slice th blocks crosswise, fer more smokeable surface area.

Here's th pellets I have immediately handy; I have some others tucked away, but th clock is runnin down, so I will select from these, today: my initial thinkin leans t'wards straight up Apple, or mebbe a 60/40%-75/25% blend with th JD...

Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ Delight Assortment.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	624721

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Whoa! That was weird; pic size postin option returned, in between postin th above two pics...

Thanks, Pit Crew!!! I definitely appreciate havin that back!!!

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Apple for sure. The blend with JD sounds interesting. I’ve smoked with JD chips and they’re pretty pungent so you probably should go lightly with them.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones I’ve used Apple or Cherry before with good results. Once I created too much heat and the cheese melted - Disaster! They recommend using your microwave on the pellets to make sure they were dry. I believe I did them for 30 seconds.

I've smoked cheese in a tube. In fact that's my only real option as only have the gasser. I've had what I believe is success. Used Jack Daniels pellets. They are used charcoal which was soaked in whiskey. Mixed with oak and made into pellets. I've also used hickory and apple. Most is Cabot brand cheese which IMO is good and a good value. I smoke for at least 4 hours with a temp of no greater than 80. That's pretty easy this time of year. Wrap it and forget it for at least 7 days. When unwrapped, the aroma of wood flows up and I get a smile on my face.
      Oh, I've done, Colby jack, pepper jack, monteray jack, sharp cheedar all in full blocks as purchased. I've done white cheese. I got this at the Deli and had it sliced. Not happy with the results. Smoke fine, but the smoking process did something funky to the texture. Dry and leathery. So now get bulk at the weight I want. Smoke it and slice after the 7 day wait.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Many Thanks fer yer tube experience, an tips/tricks, Brother!

Very Much Appreciated!

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        My pleasure.

This was where I saw the techique I use.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones the last time I smoked the cheese I set the cheese on the edge on the theory that more surface would attract smoke. I am not sure it did.

Sorry to here about your MIL brother. Wish everyone the best my friend.
      On an up note I'm glad to see you're bustin out that big arse smoker.

Comment

I'm not an expert on smoking cheese, but I cold-smoked several types of cheese recently with my AMNPS -- string cheese, farmer cheese, 4 year cheddar, and colby. I cut the larger pieces into roughly 2 x 2 sticks, and smoked the pieces for about 2 hours. I used the Amazen "pitmaster's blend" pellets. I think that's hickory, cherry and maple. The cheese didn't take on a lot of color, but the smoke aroma was pretty strong after 2 hours.

I ate a piece of string cheese the next day after smoking. I didn't care for it because the smoke smelled and tasted bitter, but I wasn't surprised about that. One week after smoking, the smoke flavor was better, but still too bitter for my taste, but I could tell the flavor was beginning to meld with the cheese. Today is 18 days after smoking and your thread reminded me I need to see how the cheese is doing. I'm chomping on a piece of string cheese right now -- 18 days after smoking -- and it's really, seriously TASTY! I'm very pleased with the string cheese (haven't tried the others yet) and will do this again. Obviously patience is a key ingredient for success.

Comment

I have smoked a fair bit of cheese in my time. The one thing I have noticed is that the colder the ambient temperature the longer you need to smoke. I did some Gouda for Christmas it was -10 Celsius thats 14 Fahrenheit for you Mericans and after 3 hours of smoke and 14 days aging still just a mild smoke flavor. In the summer when it is warmer and I get up early I usually only smoke for an hour and a half. I have tried cheese without waiting 2 weeks and found the outside piece not that great but after that was more than edible. Outside piece just a little too bitter. Contrary to what the others are suggesting I would be smoking in large blocks so you can trim the outside ends just in case your cheese is a bit bitter with such a short cure. I wouldn't be scared to have a block of ice in the cooker to keep the temps down either.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            absolutely on lengthen time for colder temps. also it will mellow faster when aged at warmer than fridge (37° in my chill chest) temps. I like to air out my cheese before and after the smoke for a few hours to make sure it is dry and developed a kind of rind on it.

Did I mention I use the same tube you have in your picture and I would stick with the milder pellets due to your short cure time.

Comment

Not ever smoked cheese, but, per everything I’ve read you need at least a week after smoking and vacuum sealing to allow the cheese to mellow so it doesn’t taste acrid.

Comment

I smoke 50+ lbs of cheese a year with a pellet tube. 3-4 hours of smoke 2+ weeks vac sealed sealed to mellow. I can get more specific as to time for each size chunk, what wood, and what cheeses I like best if you want pardner. About to load up another batch of about 30 lbs next weekend which will bring me to 50 lbs so far this winter.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Amigo!
                I'd love to hear more specifics, tips, tricks, from ya!

Tell It All, Brother!

I've found that mild cheddar has a better flavor than sharp, even though I really like the sharp "out of the wrapper". I would stay away from extra sharp, mine was very acrid even with 4-6 week waiting time. I think that the softer the cheese, the better it will take on the smoke. I do mine for 90 minutes using Lumberjack Competition blend. I've used hickory which was edible but was a bit too strong. Cherry and apple were both nice too. I also tried using 1" x 1" cubes of mild cheddar and they were not good at all, I ended up tossing them. I've read someplace that the larger bricks of cheese are better in the smoke and then cut them before vacuum sealing. After 90 minutes in the smoke, I put them on cooling racks on the kitchen counter for 1-2 hours, then wipe the moisture off them, wrap in waxed paper, vacuum seal and try to leave them alone for 3-4 weeks. I think you'll be disappointed with trying to have some ready by Sunday, but please let us know how it turns out and what you think? Our best to your family on the loss of your MIL.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here