Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pan for my pellet smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pan for my pellet smoker?

I'm a newbie and have been working my way through the Meathead book. He recommends a water pan or two filled with water for smokers--is this recommendation for pellet smokers, too? He lists a number of reasons for using a water pan (e.g., condensation, humidity), but it seems like the main reason is temp control. I have a pellet smoker with a digital controller and probe for the meat so I'm wondering if I should still use a water pan? If so, can anyone give me direction to whether I should use one or two and/or size recommendations? The main grate is 634 square inches and the secondary is 280. Grateful for your help!

in my opinion having a water pan in a pellet smoker doesnt add much UNLESS it is directly under your food. If I am doing Brisket on the top shelf with water below I get a better smoke ring and I believe a better end product. I have tried a water pan on the side and with the amount of airflow in a pellet smoker I dont see a benefit as the humidity gets blown out.

Comment

i never use a water pan on my pellet grill and food comes out great.

Comment

I can only speak to what I have observed on a Yoder 640. I tried cooks with various meat, with and without a water pan, directly over the area where the firebox is located, and saw not one bit of difference. The only use I find for pans is to pan the meat to collect the drippings to add back to the finished product. That does make a difference.

Comment

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          ditto

It is unnecessary for a pellet smoker. Because the fire is smaller, would be my guess. My Grilla also has a pretty solid thermal mass.

Comment

My pellet smoker has a digital control as well and I've never needed to use a water pan. The meat comes out sensational without one and has a nice smoke ring.

Comment

Never use a water pan in either of my pellet grills.
            Yoder Herb even ran expirement showing it wasn’t efficacious in a Yoder YS-640.

Comment

One less thing to bother with for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here