Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is just sitting in my garage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just sitting in my garage...

Greetings from New Mexico!

I have a 2 burner gas grill and really want something new. A little bigger at least. My wife also wants a charcoal grill.

So I went to Lowes and got the Gas2Coal grill (does gas and charcoal), but the charcoal is so close to the grates it burns the food. Returned that.

Then at Lowes i walked around and found a Weber Performer Deluxe for $400...talked to the guy into selling it to me for $200. Brought it home and wife said nope (NO idea why...)

So I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 18inch and told her I can do charcoal grilling on that...doesnt want to do that either :\

SO then i found what i think was an amazing deal at Dicks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181011_200904.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.00 MB ID:	580077

The CampChef Slide and Grill 24"

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...24bttrplltxcfp

There was a 20% off coupon on top of the discount so it was $400 + tax.

Now it is in my garage in a box trying to talk my wife into letting me open it and use it

I tried explaining it can do everything...still working on it :P

I kinda want to wait to see if there are any Black Friday deals coming up since Dicks has a 60 day return policy, but the ease of cleaning the Camp Chef grill seems really nice (i have a 5 yr old and a 3 month old, wife works on weekends + Mondays so i get both all day; and of course i work the other days). I think last year the GMG Daniel Boone was $400?

So yup...one day I will join you all hopefully!

Also contemplating about the PitBoss Austin XL which should be dropping the price at Walmart in the upcoming weeks.
    Last edited by FlipprDolphin; October 16, 2018, 08:37 PM.

I think if she keeps knocking you down on getting a cooker that she will eventually love, because you are gonna put out some amazing food , you need to reconsider a new wife. 😬😁😂
    Last edited by Steve B; October 16, 2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• FlipprDolphin
      FlipprDolphin commented
      Editing a comment
      Tough decisions there!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Dogs make great companions too, and they eat ANYTHING dropped from ANY COOKER...ijs

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I had the same thought! We bad!

Maybe you should ask your wife exactly what she wants...

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Got a point there! Generally makes it easier! And if Momma ain't happy ...

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    I wish ya good luck in yer quest; it doesn't sound exackly easy...

Ya've already 'joined us', so jus git ya a cooker that works out there, an start askin some questions, sendin some pics, etc.

It'll all be jus fine!

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
      Maybe you should ask your wife exactly what she wants...
      She doesnt even know what she really wants; i gave her options and now i will get what i want...hopefully

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like you might buy, unpackage and use when is not around the one you want then you cannot return it. Sometimes forgiveness is better than permission.

Before you make your final decision, think about how many you will be cooking for. Also how much time you want to spend tending the grill during long cooks. And how much smoke flavor do you want. Cost is also a consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
        Before you make your final decision, think about how many you will be cooking for. Also how much time you want to spend tending the grill during long cooks. And how much smoke flavor do you want. Cost is also a consideration.
        Wife, me, 5 year old for now till the baby is bigger. Then guests like mom/dad/sister sometimes. 500 is my Max to spend

Comment

That is a really good deal on the Camp Chef. It is their latest technology. I think it has a 3 yr. warranty. I think it would be a great starter grill.

Comment

"Now it is in my garage in a box trying to talk my wife into letting me open it and use it "

So, just get it out regardless and show her what it will do. What does she like? Start with that. If it's vegetables, cook some; if it's fish do it, if it's burgers, OK. Maybe a pizza or calzone. Meatloaf? Skewers? Pot of chili? Casserole? Steak? Low and slow pork shoulder? CHICKEN?

Comment

I say you return it and order a KBQ. Put your hypothetical foot down, then woo her with the amazing food that comes off it!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                A radical and excellent idea - except for the charcoal part (which can be worked around when starting the fire), and more importantly, the $500 limit.

• JakeT
                JakeT commented
                Editing a comment
                ahhh limits are made to be broken!! At one point the upper limits of human ability to run the 100m dash was 10 seconds, now look at Usain Bolt!

My wife wasn't happy when I was looking at the Woodwind originally and that was under 1K. I ended up buying a MAK after going down the research rabbit hole. I didn't have to sleep on the couch so I'll take the random barbs here and there (and the puppy, spa day, trip or whatever she'll randomly purchase as revenge over the next year), but in the end just do math. My previous grill was like 700 bucks, a stainless gasser from Lowes. Problem is, only the parts you touch are stainless. The exterior hardware began to rust through and the drip pan rusted off it's rivets. Sure I could fix it, but I look at it as something I paid $140-ish a year for and every 5-6 years I'd have to buy a new one.

Not sure if the Woodwind has stainless fasteners but I never saw anyone complaining about rust for the cook box. If my finances were where they were a year ago when I started my research I would have got a Woodwind, RecTec Stampede, or Grilla Silverbac for sure. Show her those models and the price, they are roughly similar quality to what you bought at half the price. If you both like it you can add a sear box to the Camp Chef later and up the game on the sear, plus when she complains about it not being easy you talk her into the box as an easy to use quick grill for her I'm confident my purchase will last much longer than the cheaper Lowes unit I had and I'm sure yours will outlast whatever you have/had as well.

So use the math and bribery to woo the wife until your food can do the talking for you.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois! Open the box and get cookin! My wife has never cared for smoked food or Barbecue in general-then she asked me to make her pulled pork for her turn hosting the women’s club that she is a member of. Hard to understand. She loves the home cured bacon, home ground sausage, and a nice pc of beef cooked to med well. She will come around.

Comment

Wow. The Weber Performer is about one of the best charcoal grills ever made, and is so amazing when you add the Slow ‘N Sear to it. The work table surface is a game changer for outdoor cooking and prep work too. If I could only keep one grill, my gasser and offset would go, and the Performer would be it. Not keeping that was a big mistake. If your wife likes charcoal, that was the best grill for the money out there.

The camp Chef is a good pellet smoker. The slide and grill feature is not as good as I hoped it would be after reading reviews of it. The direct grilling area over the fire pot is just too small. Think of your grill as having one hot spot 3 inches in diameter. Unless you spend money on Grillgrates to spread that heat for searing, you are better served dropping $200 on the side gas sear station, or getting a charcoal grill (Weber kettle) or using your gas grill for searing. In other words, the Camp Chef as is is not a ‘only grill’ option without some add ones, as it’s more smoker, less direct grill.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; October 17, 2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• FlipprDolphin
                    FlipprDolphin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That stinks. The photos and videos show the slide and grill to be awesome with flames rising to the sky! Do you still think it is a good buy at 400 or should I wait to see what else is out there? I wish the sear station was $100. Grill grates seem like a good option for the price?

• JoeSousa
                    JoeSousa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would agree here about the Performer. If you only have 1 grill/smoker/cooker I would definitely make it a Weber. With the SNS you can do everything from reverse searing steaks to smoking a brisket for 20 hours. And since you got it for $200 that would leave you $300 to spend on accessories!

Road trip to my house I will show her what she missing

Comment

• DeusDingo
                    DeusDingo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    that could be taken a couple of different ways!

The solution is simple, open all of them. Cook on all of them! Take charge! The little lady will love the food you put out. It’s apparent you are consulting with the wrong person. Do it! You’ve got it figured out. And, like I told a recent rookie, make humming noises when you apply any rubs. She just might stay away from you in fear. Then spring the goodies on her. She’ll be amazed. You aren’t getting the gear for her, but for you. With your present course you are hampering any future cookers in your future. Can you say MCS. Most important, eat good & have fun! 😎

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Manly"! ;-)

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    EdF , not to draw someone else into this, but can you imagine Kathryn or CandySue or Karen being nimbly pimbly about a cooker. Grab me the tongs & fire away!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not at all, FireMan ! It was just a sarcastic remark of sorts!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here