Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to smoking

I am considering a Green Mountain Daniel Boone as my first smoker - any thoughts - entry level smoker - easy to use etc.

thank you

Good choice from a reputable company. Super easy to use and get great results.

Comment

Thank you Max - Appreciate your comment. Read a lot on Amazing Ribs and seemed like a good choice for me - will let you know how I do on the maiden voyage - thanks again

Comment

Good luck gschnapp. There are a lot of fine folks on this site that'll be more than happy to help you get things figured out. Cheers!

Comment

Awesome - thank you - already battling with what flavor chips to try first - meat etc. appreciate all advice -

thanks again

Comment

• bten
            bten commented
            Editing a comment
            Pecan or hickory are good flavors to start with. Smoking a pork butt is supposed to be very forgiving (I haven't done one yet). I think trying some St. Louis ribs is a good place to start because you can usually finish is 5-6 hrs. I would then try the pork but or brisket. plenty of good recepies on the free site.

right now, I use apple for pork and mesquite for brisket. Mesquite is strong

Well I'm old to smoking but no matter, I still only know enough to populate the head of a pin. Good choice on the GMG, you should be happy with that !! Welcome to the Pit !!

Comment

My only question would be will that unit be large enough for the number of people you want to cook for. It's better to get a larger cooker because you don't have to fill it. If you get a small cooker, you may be limited in how many you can cook for.

Comment

If ya get a small one now it will be ok, cuz then ya kin get a bigger one later & have two. Multiple cookers is really good. Really good. Welcome to the world of smoke. Eat good & have fun.

Comment

From all I've heard, I think that ya will enjoy that Green Mountain Daniel Boone...
                Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Comment

I started with a Jim Bowie. GMG does a nice job. Welcome and good luck.

Comment

Thank you all for info - good start - will let you know how I do for first smoke

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm lookin forward to it!

You all have been great - obviously enjoy smoking etc. Thanks again - GMG comes Monday. If any of you ever in southwest FL - please look me up - George & Wendys Seafood Grille on Sanibel.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here