Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constant GMG auger jams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constant GMG auger jams

Hello gang,

I am having a hell of a time with my GMG. I am constantly getting auger jams. I have received 2 replacement auger units under warranty but that has not solved the issues. All the fans are working properly. I only use Lumberjack pellets. I have opened fresh bags to see if it was a pellet issue but that made no difference. I have been storing it in the garage for the past few months to see if it was a moisture issue.

What happens is I will got ti start the grill and during the initial pellet feed it will jam after 10-15 seconds and no longer feed. If I pull the auger and clear the jam then it will run fine for the rest of the cook. When I shut the grill down I make sure to set the temp to 150 and let it stabilize for a few minutes then I shut it down in fan mod.

Oh, and I've had two jams happen mod cook that stopped the cook. I just had to clear one whilst writing this post! Bah!

It will be James the next time I go to use it. Any ideas? Gmg has been great with sending me parts under warranty but I'm about to sell this thing and go back to charcoal!

Thanks guys and have a great Memorial Day!
    Tim
    Last edited by Spinnaker; May 27, 2018, 03:10 PM.

Wow, that's odd. I've never ever had an auger jam on either my Traegar or my Yoder. And GMG has a great reputation, I can't fathom why this would be happening. It sounds like you've done all the things you SHOULD be checking - moisture, etc. But... the auger itself has been replaced, so that can't be it... that's weird.

I've not used those pellets, so I can't comment on them, but I would try running a bag or three of another kind to see if that changes things. Make sure you're not getting a lot of pellet dust in the hopper, either, I've read the dust can cake things up and cause jams. When you pull the auger to clear it, is there a lot of dust in it?

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have been sifting my pellets from day one, but I agree that I should try other pellets. I need to get on the phone with GMG and find out what voltage the control board is supposed to be sending to the auger motor. I'm wondering if the control board might be at fault with an under performing motor driver. Other than that I'm pretty much at a loss. I really like this rig when it's running, but there is no way that I can trust it if I'm doing a long overnight cook.

Thanks again,
      Tim

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

There are two common threads in your issue - GMG auger unit(s) and Lumberjack pellets. I had a problem with my GMG DC last winter. It was not feeding pellets fast enough to keep the fire going. GMG advised they were having some issues with the auger units in that the motor was too weak. I do not know if the Davy Crockett auger unit is the same as other GMG models. I got a new auger unit and it has worked flawlessly, even after running 20 lbs of Lumberjack pellets through. The replacement auger unit looks like the original unit and I'm guessing the change they made was either to the motor itself or the gearbox. Your problem suggests that, if the Davy Crockett auger units are the same as other models, perhaps some of the older auger units haven't been removed from GMG inventory and are being shipped out for repairs. The customer service department is in Reno and the parts come from somewhere in Oregon. It is something that the GMG customer service folks could check out.

Also there is a GMG owners Facebook page. A few of the posters appear to be associated with GMG and have been helpful with other owners who have had issues. It is a closed group but it might be helpful. https://www.facebook.com/notes/green...6540882036690/

Hope this might help. Good luck.

Comment

I wonder if there's an issue with the auger tube.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
              I wonder if there's an issue with the auger tube.
              The auger assembly comes with a new tube as well.

Comment

Humidity can also be a factor.

Comment

Knock on wood. I’ve never had an auger jam with my GMG or with my old Traeger. I clean the unit about once a year and have never sifted or done anything with the pellets like empty the bin to clean etc. I live in sw FL and it’s always humid here. I’ve only used Traeger pellets and nothing else. I rarely use the pellet grill now so not sure if that matters or not.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've never had a jam, either. Had some other issues at times, like failure to feed and flameouts on my Traeger, but never a jam.

I have used Lumberjack pellets for well over a year with no problems in my Pellet Pro. I would say; however, that the LJ pellet is a smaller extrusion then most other pellets, not sure why that is. It may be that the smaller pellet is not feeding properly through your auger. I would definitely try a different pellet, like B&B, and see if that's one thing to eliminate. Other than that I would be wearing out their customer service line !!!

Comment

• bten
                    bten commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with trying a different pellet. It does seem that there is not enough power going to the auger.

I have never had one jam. I only use KBB in my kettles. 😀 Sounds like you are on your way. Good luck.

huntington Beach welcomes you sir.

Comment

I have not heard of anyone having as many jams as myself. Most people say that they might have one a year if they don't clean them out after a long period. But no one seems to be having back-to-back jams like I am.

I was worried about humidity but Washington State just does not have much to speak of. But I did start parking the grill in the garage just to be sure but it was made not change.

I plan to call up GMG tomorrow and try and talk with them regarding this.

Thanks for all the responses!
                    Tim

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                      Dadof3Illinois commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I had major issues with my GMG when I used Lumberjack Pellets. My auger would make some crazy noises and sounded like it was going to come apart. As soon as I switched back to GMG pellets it worked fine again. Pit Boss pellets worked also. Before trying another auger, switch pellet brands and see if that helps.

Good luck Tim. I will tell you I’ve never had a jam with my GMG and I’ve been cooking in the rain using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Paul View Post
                      Good luck Tim. I will tell you I’ve never had a jam with my GMG and I’ve been cooking in the rain using it.
                      Thank you for the kind words.

This is definitely an oddity. This rig gave me no issues for the first 6-8 months. And I used the living crap out of it during this time.

I hope I can get this figured out soon before I shoot it... Repeatedly.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                        Sweaty Paul commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good luck. Full disclosure I bought a Yoder this year and it too works like a top. Based on all I have heard about GMG customer service you should be good.

SP

I have a GMG Jim Bowie. My experience is precisely like yours. If you learn the solution, please let me know.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here