Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to get to temp???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to get to temp???

Happy weekend all:

thinking of joining the pellet team for convenience (2 small kids = zero time)... my question is how quick does a decent pellet grill come up to temp? Thinking of weeknight use for just my wife and I. Is it similar to the indoor oven?

also, anyone got an idea of how many steaks /chops can be put on the Woodwind sear box?

thanks,

tom

Well, there are a TON of choices in the pellet market, as pellet grills have to be the most popular option these days.
    They come up too temp pretty fast. Maybe a bit longer than a gasser but not nearly as long as a kamado. The number of steaks and chops you can fit will vary as there are a crazy number sizes and options for you to choose from.

Give our review page a look, the column on the left might help you to narrow it down.

Comment

Thank you sir.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You bet. let us know what you come up with!

I just got a Yoder Smoker YS-640. I admit I was skeptical of its ability to sear when I bought it, however, I have a gasser and a couple Weber Kettles for searing. For the first couple months I had the Yoder I’d cook the steaks low and slow on the Yoder and then sear on the Saber or the Weber. I then tried the Yoder for fun as an experiment and I was blown away by how well it did. I will say that the Yoder does a great job with the searing, although, I do have Grill Grates for it.

It it also gets to temp very quickly. Not quite as fast as my gas grill, however, within 15-20 minutes of turning it on it hits 350.

The reviews page page on this site is great for information.

Welcome. If you have questions let me know.

SP

Comment

My RecTec RT680 will reach 225-250 within 15 mins.

Comment

I would say very similar to an indoor oven. If you are looking for speed and convenience you should definitely consider a pellet grill. They are extremely versatile and can be used just like an indoor oven especially at the higher temps (350+) where you get very little smoke.

Comment

I’m definitely looking into converting to a pellet & gas combo ... right now I’m all charcoal and I simply don’t use my stuff

ive also gotten interested in a flat top for searing & weeknight cooks.

Thanks all all for the help

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought a griddle for the Yoder, however, I think it’ll fit on my Saber too.

Really depends on the ambient temperature. I have a Rec Tec 680 and typically cook at 235° and 350°. When it's in the 70s, it takes ~15 minutes to get to 235° and 20-25 minutes to get to 350°. When it's colder, it takes longer. I also use a thermal blanket in the winter (I live in Colorado) and that seems to help as well.

I went to a pellet grill (from gasser and electric smoker) last summer and have absolutely loved it. Have been grilling and smoking much more because it's so good compared to what I had done previously. Very simple, great flavor, and the meat looks great. Below are some recent cooks- pastrami, pulled pork, ribeye, brisket (who says you can't get a good smoke ring on a pellet grill?).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	501490

Name:	IMG_0447.JPG
Views:	1299
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	501491

Name:	IMG_0477.JPG
Views:	1268
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	501492

Name:	IMG_4212.JPG
Views:	1301
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	501494

Attached Files

Comment

I’m considering a Rec Tec... how’s it sear?

Comment

I don't use the Rec Tec to sear steak; I use my gasser with upside down Grill Grates. I can get them to >750°. I also usually use my gasser to crisp up chicken, only because it's quicker then taking the chicken off and cranking up the Rec Tec, and since I don't need anymore smoke flavor at that point, I save the pellets. FYI- I can get the Rec Tec to >500°.

I find the Rec Tec + gasser a fantastic combo; which can do anything I want to do (haven't tried pizza on the Rec Tec yet though).

Comment

I have a GMG Jim Bowie in my line up, it comes up to temp in 5 to 10mins. In "average" weather conditions you can get about 6-7 hours at 225df without hopper refill, so just about get through the night.

If you have the WiFi model (as I do) you don't need to worry though, as it alerts you on your phone if it runs low.

I still use my manual.smokers when I have time, but sincerely, the pellet smoker is my best BBQ purchase so far, and as my wife complains... I've made a few over the years!

Happy to give you more info, just let me know.

Comment

I also have a GMG Jim Bowie and a Davey Crockett (along with other assorted fuel cookers) and I go through phases where I use them almost all the time. 225F takes about 10 - 15 minutes on the Davey Crocket and about 15 to 20 depending on wind and ambient temp on the Jim Bowie. One obvious major issue in the world of pellet poopers is the pellets. If your cooking with garbage pellets your going to have a long wait getting up to temp and keeping your temp steady, not to mention auger jams which can eventually burn out your auger motor. Do some research to find the best pellets available in your area, which may not be the ones recommended and sold by the people that will be selling you your replacement auger motors.

Comment

This is great data, as I’ve mentioned on other posts, I’m in the process of converting from charcoal to gas and/or pellet due to young family and hectic schedule. It’s nice to know what you’re getting into on the pellet side before fueling out $1k

Comment

Great question. I'm seriously considering the same switch. I currently have a gas grill, PBC, and Weber 22 + SnS. Considering getting rid of it all and going with a pellet. I could do everything I want with one device.

Comment

• bten
                          bten commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would keep the gasser for searing....

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here