Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaz'n Grills Grid Iron Part 2 Upright assembly....why I chose this one over others....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blaz'n Grills Grid Iron Part 2 Upright assembly....why I chose this one over others....

So I thought I would need three extra bodies to flip this dude right side up, turns out I just needed some umpphhh, though I probably wouldn't recommend it.

I'll add pictures with the phone later when there is better light in the morning.

I almost ordered the RecTec 680 but I really needed more space than what it offers, even with the new shelf you can get. I also needed upgraded wheels, which you can get, but they were still a bit more than what I got from Nebraska.

The Yoder 640 was looked at closely at the end, but the upgraded wheels ($795) was waaaay more than what I really wanted to pay. Plus the Grid Iron just really seemed like the best bang for the bucks. And the wheels on this thing are MACK DADDY with grease zerts on all wheels.

I really don't think people should have much of anything to complain about when purchasing RectTec or Yoder, I just was really shopping for cooking area and what I felt somewhat comfortable spending that much money on. I've had to turn down requests to cook for fundraisers so I kinda felt bad all of a sudden not being able to help out.

I no longer work approx. 87 hours every two weeks with maybe 5 Saturdays a year. For the last year I am averaging 110 hours every 2 weeks with 26-28 Saturdays a year.

NO WiFi. The night before I ordered this smoker our internet AND my cellphone data service went out. They are connected and sometimes the internet goes in and out without any problems on the phone, but when the internet goes off the grid so does the phone. WiFi would have a been a waste of $$. I have remote thermometers anyways and I don't play golf.

One hitch on the assembly. They forgot to include the bolts to mount the legs to the cooker. Which reminds me, I need to tighten them dudes up, I was so excited to get it upright I forgot. A quick trip to Wal-Mart fixed the legs. Looking at the item list it mentions a "bucket of bolts." I wondered why they put them in a bucket, then I realized they forgot the grease bucket. Duhhhhh...

Another great thing I realized is I should be able to easily roll this thing up the hill and into the back yard and down to the patio. Thought about going out right now and trying but I have to get on the road, not good at 4 in the morning.

Sounds like your having fun

Comment

I love getting a new toy. Glad you’re having fun with yours!! Pellet cooking is really effortless and gives you consistent results. One thing I do want on my Pellet Pro is wi-fi control to be able to program. Dennis at PP told me the other day they will have a PID with wi-fi and programming capabilities this fall. Can’t wait!!

Regardless enjoy and show us your first cook! Brisket???

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Savannah Stoker is coming out with a wifi PID controller and is totally programmable with a cold smoke option that only runs the fan.

Congrats Jerod. Looking forward to seeing this guy in action.

Comment

Big thanks to theman56 for responding to my harassment.

I definitely needed a few extra bodies to get it off the road into the yard.

Just need to head to Ace and get a heavy duty extension chord, 10ft max.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_114302.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	464796Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_115007.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	464797

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Man that things a hummer dinger !!!!!

• kerryt221
          kerryt221 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice looking GI. Looks familiar! Love mine. Wish I didn’t go for the insulated lid tho. Takes space from the top two shelves. Without the insulated lid, standard size 18x24 perforated sheets fit on the top full shelf. Enjoy!

Ps. If you want to make your unit a perfect cold smoker, let me know. I posted my tweek a few weeks back. Thx

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          What an awesome beast!

I love all that rack space! Awesome looking smoker, and I am looking forward to your "review" of it for the AR review site. This is one that the review says "done from afar". Seems like you can write the official AR review of this model now....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Official reviews take severe grammatical articulation. I was kicked out of the running in the 4th grade.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Well at least you learned to spell ‘grammatical’

Initial burn in. I'm going to run 360 for the 30 minutes. Once it hits 100 it climbs like a champ.

They quickly got back to me about the missing grease bucket because the meat probe is also missing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_130110.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	464821

Comment

I *LIKE* that "MADE IN THE USA" on it! You got me window shopping for one of these bad boys now. Of course, once you add a cover, the fancy cart and the 3 story rack addition, the price is probably north of $2000, which I won't be doing any time soon... but I can dream!

Comment

Beautiful looking machine. I love all the cooking space and the SS shelf. Did you opt for the extra pellet smoke container?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I want to run Cherry in the extra while I run Oak or Hickory. I chose that combo to make it look like I might know what I am doing.

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              If you like mesquite, I found it is not too strong in the pellet grill.

i'm curious how you're going to modify your PBC to incorporate this thing

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Luckily I was able to install 1/2" spacers on the fan to help with ash others had issues with. So I still got to mod something.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe he can duct the exhaust of this thing over through the PBC and makes the PBC into a cold smoke box...

Very nice! Can't wait to see what you pull of of it!

Comment

Nice looking pellet pooper Jerod Broussard what are you planning on cooking with it first?
              Last edited by DWCowles; March 9, 2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Light seasoning tomorrow night with 2 briskets and 2 or 3 pork shoulders.

Awesome! Now we wanna see that bad boy in action

Comment

Nice looking grill! How far apart are the grates? Could you fit a butt roast on every shelf?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Possibly but I wouldn't want to jack with air flow that much. Sausage will be on every rack. Briskets and butts I will use the very bottom rack (not visible in pic) and the second rack from the top.
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 9, 2018, 06:57 PM.

• Blackshirt BBQ
                  Blackshirt BBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last weekend, my dad and I cooked 5 beef roasts (3 lbs each) and 9 racks of ribs. All on the Grand Slam. Which is a full foot shorter than the Grid Iron. It can be done, with some persuasion of course. Haha. Nice looking grill by the way. I just got one last week as well. They are truly amazing machines.

Nice looking unit - I just got the identical unit to yours and have used 3 times and man OH man is it ever easy to use and the wifi makes it more simple.....Good luck with it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here