Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions regarding Camp Chef Woodwind Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions regarding Camp Chef Woodwind Grill

I just saw an ad for what looks like a pretty neat smoker/grill made by Camp Chef but I have no clue as to the quality, durability or anything else about this company. I have a good smoker but my Weber Genesis is pushing 12 years old and has (maybe) this year left. I am wiling to spend a little more if I am getting better quality. Opinion?

Max Good

Comment

It is an upgrade of the SmokePro DLX made by Camp Chef. The DLX has a lot of good reviews. If you go to the Camp Chef web site, you can see the comparisons.

Comment

I was just checking the reviews section this morning for Max's take on the Woodwind. I have my eye on it, just been waiting for more info to come out. The DLX has a good review, and is on the top 10 value list, so that is a good sign.

There are a couple of good comparisons on You Tube between it and the DLX that make it look like a good upgrade. I haven't seen a lot of recommendations on the AR forums for Camp Chef, though the folks that do have them seem really happy with them.

Comment

Here's my two cents - the ash removal system and pellet chute to remove and change pellets would be my big go to reasons to go for it and probably would if I ever get more space for another cooker.

Comment

SmokePro and Woodwind are very similar. Woodwind has heavier legs and a bottom shelf. Woodwind has a stainless steel firepot and the meat probe port is located up higher on the grill chamber so the wire does not get as hot allowing thermometers to last longer in the heat. Going forward, Camp Chef plans to make these two changes to SmokePro as well.

Comment

Looks really interesting, if the quality of this thing is good then the price is attractive with or without the sear box. The only thing I see wrong with it is that I don't see a place to hang a propane bottle for the sear box.

Comment

• bten
                bten commented
                Editing a comment
                There is a hook on the back for your propane bottle. If you buy the sear box separately, they provide the hook.

ChefFred Camp Chef is a quality brand. I own a Cabela's brand pellet smoker, which is made by Camp Chef. I am very happy with the performance and quality of this smoker. I don't frequently empty the pellet hopper but the trap door & chute is handy when I want to do that. The ash cup is useful to keep the burn pot clean but the bottom interior of the cook chamber still needs a vacuuming every 3 to 4 cooks.

Camp Chef provided great customer service when I had a problem that ultimately turned out to be caused by a bad bag of pellets.

Comment

Thank you, folks. Now does anyone know if Camp Chef grills or grills made by then are sold by Cabellas?

Comment

Whatever the quality of thier products (which is excelent), their videos with the "Grill God" for the Woodwind are hilarious!
                  12M views, 53K likes, 2K loves, 10K comments, 21K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Camp Chef: Thinking of Buying a Pellet Grill? Watch This Comparison First. www.woodwindgrills.com

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Definitely agree!

This looks like a reverse searing machine made by the Grill God. Great tool for those short on space.

Comment

I got one of these just a few days ago. This is my first pellet smoker. I've done 2 cookes with it thus far. Did some pork ribs on Saturday, then smoked a couple of picnic cuts on Sunday. The ribs turned out incredibly good. It took just over 5 hrs at 225 to get them done.

The 2 picnic cuts were 7 lbs each, and took 15 hrs to get them done. I used camp chef's competition blend pellets. It was a courtesy bah they sent with the unit.

I had temperature fluctuations with the smoker. I'm getting to know the equipment, and will need more time to properly comment on it. Thus far, learning it and trying to figure some things out. I and can say that the ribs are worth repeating. My family is asking for more ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6553.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	352934Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6548.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	352935

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks good to me!

EdF,
                    Thank you.

Comment

I'm looking at the Pro DLX -- I'm not a fan of stainless steel, and I can't bring myself to spend $899. I figure that the Pro DLX will suffice in place of the Woodwind with the sear burner -- I already have a gas grill with Grill Grates that I can use for searing.

Comment

Mr. Bones: Not yet. Still debating. Also, I have to sell my Browning BT-99 to get the extra cash. I already sold my Stoeger Condor Over 'n Under, and I'm also trying to sell my Camp Chef Smoke Vault (24"), the former for the extra cash, and the latter for the extra space.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here