Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Grill Elite ITC3…so far, NO GOOD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Grill Elite ITC3…so far, NO GOOD!

First off, let me say that I fully intend to give Memphis Grill the opportunity to correct the problems I am experiencing, so the jury is still out on where this all leads. With that said, customer service never responded to my email about a month ago, so I’ll be calling them this week instead.

I love the concept of this grill—lots of real estate and indirect pellet cooking with a hot swappable insert that allows for direct sear over the fire pot. But so far, there’s some real kinks to work out.
    My first challenge was upon initial break in. I followed the instructions provided, but when the grill reached high temp (400°), the center grate would not budge in order to swap out the insert. The frame had expanded and flexed so much that the center grate became wedged. This was the initial concern that I contacted Memphis Grill about, with no response.

After using the unit a time or two, a couple of other issues came up. The touchscreen is incredibly hard to adjust—the buttons on the screen are extremely small, and the "touch point" for the temp setting is actually below the button itself and not right on it. The slider is super sensitive and easy to accidentally touch, often setting the temp way out of the desired range. A recent firmware update helped this problem some by spacing the buttons farther from the slider, but it’s far from a perfect solution.

The other issue that came up was "over temping." The grill was constantly overshooting the set temp by 50°-60° in the initial stages of cooking. It would eventually settle out, but it always wants to run hot. I’ve mitigated that some by starting off at 50° below my desired temp then slowly increasing the temp as I cook, but it ought to be more hands off than that.

The best feature of this grill is the direct sear, but tonight that led to a complete failure. After about 3 minutes on "extreme sear," the blower started making a racket, then shut down completely, stopping my cook in its tracks. I shut off the grill and let it cool down, then removed the back panel to inspect the blower. It was completely melted!

I’ll post on here how my experience with customer service goes. But in the meantime, DO NOT BUY OR RECOMMEND THIS GRILL! Too many kinks still need to be worked out with this one, and I’m getting dinged for being an early adapter…

Click image for larger version

Name:	F22DF42B-4542-404A-BB73-C171F2544BC9.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1242156 Click image for larger version

Name:	85D8F464-6244-4AF8-839F-DC04F7E0F5A4.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1242157

Great review of a terrible experience. Thank you. Edit - I just looked up the cooker. That is a very expensive product to have those issues. I wouldn't be so polite.
    Last edited by tbob4; June 25, 2022, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I have not heard many good things since they moved manufacturing to China. I really hope they get it taken care of for you. It’s really weird that you got no response, Zakk was always pretty quick to help via email when I had my Memphis. So, that part is pretty strange and unacceptable for what a Memphis costs.

Comment

Dang man sorry to hear about this negative experience! I hope they make it right 🐿

Comment

Sorry to read of your troubles SoulHunter07 . I had a Memphis Pro for about 10 years and sold it just to try something different...MAK 2 Star. My Memphis was made in the Twin Cities and was from when they were just starting out. I remember visiting the factory and was so impressed. It was a great product with great service. I hope you get your problems resolved.

Comment

Best of luck, and thanks for providing this clear and thorough description, painful as it likely was to write up!

Comment

I have a Memphis Pro but it was made in the USA several years ago . Yes, I had some trouble. I hope Zak is still in control because he was who helped me. I 'll take a look at mine when I have a chance and see if the blower is made of plastic.
              I saw the burner pot on mine had some burn out holes in it last year, so sent a text and they answered back said a new one would be around 140. I just covered the holes with some small pieces of scrap iron and is working good so far.
              I would resend the contact information. Maybe it was "lost" in their system. I had that happen about a different matter.
              Best to you.

Comment

Sorry to read of your troubles.

Comment

Hope they do the right thing and get this corrected for you...

Best of luck!

Comment

Ever go to Gene's for oysters?

Comment

Well, for a 7k grill, I would be calling daily until my issues are perfectly resolved. Fingers crossed you get some good support.

Comment

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, I would be calling daily and raising a rukus myself as well.

Yikes, way too many issues for a very expensive cooker. The fins on the fan look to be melted plastic. Hopefully Memphis can work to get you the product you paid for.

We lived in PCB for 15 years.

Comment

Just an update on the Memphis Elite saga…

It took 3 days, but customer service finally responded to my initial email. Here is where we are currently:

The touchscreen issue was resolved with a recalibration procedure that they walked me through. That was an easy fix once they sent me instructions on how to recalibrate.

Their response regarding the temp overshooting was that it is designed that way to reach temp faster, and that overshooting on warmup is normal. I responded that my Cookshack FEC100 had 15 year older technology, and never overshot more than 10°. I suggested a firmware update to reduce the amount of overshoot, but not sure they agree with my logic. Probably at a dead end here. My workaround is to set the grill temp 50° below where I ultimately want to cook, then raise the temp once the grill has stabilized.

They finally overnighted a replacement blower, which I received and installed today. Upon testing the blower using the grill diagnostics, it made a loud scrubbing noise and ultimately failed the test. I uninstalled and disassembled the blower only to discover that the replacement blower that I received was defective.

In the meantime, they had asked me to send them dimensions of the grill grates and the spacing to determine if anything was out of spec that might be causing the grate to jam when the temps are high. When I reached back out to them this afternoon to explain the replacement blower issue, they informed me that my grates and my spacing were within spec, so the back wall flexing enough in high heat to bind up the grate was a manufacturing defect. In light of this, they intend to send me a replacement grill in exchange for my existing grill. Not sure how quickly this will happen, but that is the current plan.

I will only say that what I’ve learned through this is the importance of taking videos and pics when something goes wrong. This process has taken way too long, but having video and pics has been vital. It’s hard to deny hard evidence. To be continued…

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          glitchy don't wanna derail the topic here too much, but my last MAK would only overshoot by 5ish degrees, and come back down within about 10 minutes. My new one with the new controller (which I suspect may have issues) is 10ish degrees. I almost always start a cook with an empty auger. With a full auger it will overshoot if I'm going for a temp lower than 225, but I just burp the lid a few times to settle down and it does within about 15 minutes.

• jwkieta
                          jwkieta commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Any update to this? I have a Pro ITC3 and have had a number of problems.

• SoulHunter07
                          SoulHunter07 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It was a hassle, but Memphis ultimately replaced the grill. The new grill seems to be working closer to spec. Unfortunately, I’ve only been able to complete a couple of cooks on the new grill due to a family illness that has required us to relocate for a few months to provide care.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here