Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about pellet grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about pellet grill

Things are lining up where it looks like I can get a pellet grill. I have a few questions. I have a cement pad but it doesn't have overhead cover. Will it be OK to have out uncovered (except for a grill cover) I also need to run a new outlet. Would any due or do I need to make sure it has plenty of power. I just wanted to eliminate anything I wasn't expecting. Thanks for any help.

Most pellets grills are just fine in the elements under a waterproof cover. I would definitely look for one with a hopper dump in case you were expecting bad storms and want to drain the hopper. Most can also actually run on a fairly small inverter and once the igniter shuts off draw minimal power. Just make sure it’s a GFCI outlet of course. A standard 15 amp 110 will be fine.

Comment

• coolfins
      coolfins commented
      Editing a comment
      As glitchy says, shouldn't be a problem,as long as the cover is good. One of the important things is keeping the pellets dry, a hopper dump is a good idea. Check out GMG. I have a Daniel Boone Prime Plus ( my second one). They're 12v with A/C adapter, so you have options for power supply

Yeah, with a cover you should be fine. That being said, I always think, the more cover the better.

They don't draw much power, so I would not worry about that. .

Comment

Agree, agree. 15 amp circuit is more than enough. I live in a very wet, humid environment and leave pellets in my hopper all year round. Just be sure to get a good cover for it and you'll be fine.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay us swamp dwellers.

I think you need to get the new LSG pellet grill. That way you could test it out and let us now just how good it is
      My Yoder sat for 2 years with just their cover on it. Just to be safe I put a piece of plastic over the hopper under the cover. I run it on a 15 amp circuit with no problems.

Comment

Whet they said. Mine have been covered on the deck with pellets in them for a while with no problems. I bought covers from the manufacturers for both of them. 15A circuit.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Both of them? I thought you just got your first with that Chimp?

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy I have a Traeger Scout that I bought a few years ago. I got the Chimp to replace it.

I no longer have a pellet. However, when I did, I ran it using a marine battery and a small inverter. Worked great.

Comment

I've ran my Yoder for a full competition cook using a 100 watt solar generator on a cloudy day with battery power to spare. It pulls more than my generator can handle on start up when the igniter is running but after that very little power needed. Even on stat up 15 amp circuit is no problem.
          Last edited by hogdog6; March 26, 2021, 02:53 AM.

Comment

I finally decided on a pellet grill. I went with Jim Bowie Prime Pro found it on Costco for a deal. I can't wait. Thank you to all for all feedback and help.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              awesome! Be sure to post pics of your first smoke!!!

• Macktechie
              Macktechie commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here