Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any MAK Owners Smoking Cheese/Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any MAK Owners Smoking Cheese/Eggs

I have smoked cheese and eggs several times in recent years with a "Smoke Tube" using pellets. IMO it works really well for the way we like it. My question now that I got a MAK 2 Star this summer is do any of you MAK owners smoke cheese or eggs in the RH Smoke Box of your MAK? If so do you have a time and temp suggestion for me?

I don't use a smoke tube in the MAK ever. I use the "warming box" when it's below 60 out to smoke cheese a ton, just set 'er on smoke and let it go. In the warmer months put a loaf pan (which you have a stockpile of already 'cause the grease drawer) full of ice in front of whatever you're smoking. Generally the warming box will be 100 degrees or more cooler than the set temp of the MAK, more so in the winter. As for eggs, I smoke them from raw in the main box using I think it's meatheads timing/temp, but then I flash them in ice water and put 'em deshelled on the warming box for another 45 min or so at smoke setting, usually with ice in there unless it's below 40 out.
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; October 31, 2020, 05:51 PM.

Comment

When I smoke cheese ( always when it is below 60 to 65 ) I simply load it in the warming box and then place a smoke tube as close to the pellet bin as I can and on the bottom of the grill chamber. IMHO using the grill requires the fan to be on and I think that creates more heat than needed. I try my best to do as cold of a smoke as I can. As far as time goes, some cheeses handle the smoking process better than others so I simply check every once in a while. When I see the cheese start to sweat I remove it.
      You likely know this already but make sure to keep it refrigerated for a couple weeks minimum so the smoke settles in. I vacuum pack mine but wrapping with a plastic wrap works just fine as well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here